Healthy Debate: IMG vs BG for #1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:26 PM, 954gator said:

Lets be honest,  this isn't a great year to have a unanimous MNC winner.   I'd probably be more leaning to BG, Chami, or even MD over IMG but I didn't really get to watch much IMG this year.  

IMG                      Criteria                                   BG
44.9                    SOS                               43.2
0.649              Opp Win %                      0.629
#9 SJP        Best Win (Comp)            #12 Corner
3             # Wins vs State Champs            1
8                     #OOS wins                          4

I understand the arguments as to why you are one of 2  polls to rank IMG above BG.  That said, if your the national championship came down to IMG vs. BG then I am confused as to how BG is ranked below SJB and MD based on your criteria.  

I look at common opponents Cent10 where SJB barely pulled out a 1 point win and MD won by 2 td's---BG won by 4 Td's.

I also look at the fact that the SJB and MD were beaten during the year in ways inconsistent with top billing---SJB by then unranked Kahuku and MD losings in convincing fashion to SJB 28-0.

In addition to BG, I think Desoto, IMG and CM all have legitimate claims, but MD and SJB are probably behind all those schools as the best 1 loss team in the nation. 

There were some questions raised concerning BG's defense, but BG gave up less points against Liberty over 8 quarters than SJB did over 4. 

On a side note, I don't think OOS wins is compelling given that BG was limited by state rules  to 4 OSS games. 

1 hour ago, Scott Coffee said:

I understand the arguments as to why you are one of 2  polls to rank IMG above BG.  That said, if your the national championship came down to IMG vs. BG then I am confused as to how BG is ranked below SJB and MD based on your criteria.  

I look at common opponents Cent10 where SJB barely pulled out a 1 point win and MD won by 2 td's---BG won by 4 Td's.

I also look at the fact that the SJB and MD were beaten during the year in ways inconsistent with top billing---SJB by then unranked Kahuku and MD losings in convincing fashion to SJB 28-0.

In addition to BG, I think Desoto, IMG and CM all have legitimate claims, but MD and SJB are probably behind all those schools as the best 1 loss team in the nation. 

There were some questions raised concerning BG's defense, but BG gave up less points against Liberty over 8 quarters than SJB did over 4. 

On a side note, I don't think OOS wins is compelling given that BG was limited by state rules  to 4 OSS games. 

I spoke to those few Head Coaches who played both BG and MD/SJB. The majority said that both MD and SJB were superior teams than BG this season mainly due to BGs young and porous Defense. 

I have BG behind C-M because in my opinion they struggled more vs MC in Vegas than C-M did on the road at Traz. 

Per our published criteria, our MNC has to have at least one, elite OOS win. BG has solid OOS wins (#14 Corner and #15 Cen10). Just not as good as IMGs (#8 SJP and #18 BD) in my opinion. IMGs SOS is 1.7 points greater, which shows they played a tougher schedule from top to bottom. 

PS...I had this same exact discussion with Coach Browner last week.