NationalHSFB.com Preseason Top 25 Rankings

11 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

But your poll only goes up to 100 😉 Both should start the season outside looking in. 

We’ll see. I don’t put mine out until a couple weeks in. If they knock off Mission Viejo on the road Servite will certainly be in the discussion. 

Edited by Omaha Vol

On 6/22/2022 at 11:51 AM, GardenStateBaller said:

Not true at all. Their SOS is horrific each and every year regardless. Playing and beating teams like Apopka and Bloomingdale will never ever equate to substantial national rankings. Beggars can't be choosers. 

In their defense Apopka is usually a pretty solid squad.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

If Servite is ranked in his initial T100, he'll be banned from here. 

As long as the justification for ranking someone ahead of Servite can be vetted, then I'm good with it. 

Just don't want to see some scrub team in an irrelevant state/division, which has not beaten any relevant team in the last couple years, nor has a relevant game on their schedule, ranked ahead of Servite. 

Granted Servite will not be the #2/3 team in the Country this again year, but they have a pretty good program year in and year out.

1 minute ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

As long as the justification for ranking someone ahead of Servite can be vetted, then I'm good with it. 

Just don't want to see some scrub team in an irrelevant state/division, which has not beaten any relevant team in the last couple years, nor has a relevant game on their schedule, ranked ahead of Servite. 

Granted Servite will not be the #2/3 team in the Country this year, but they have a pretty good program year in and year out.

Away early at both MV and Los Al will be the tell-tale signs. 

17 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Every season is different and distinct. 

Which means nothing related to how teams are ranked.  Are we going to tolerate dumb rankings this year because 2022 is a different and distinct season?

I am not advocating for Servite to be in the Top 100 at the expense of more deserving teams.   But I am not going to tolerate teams like Red Bank, Lakota West, Skyridge UT, and Pick Central being ranked if Servite is not.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, Omaha Vol said:

Oh don’t worry my Friar friend. I can’t see that happening. 

I’m late to the party but Folsom would absolutely blow the doors off servite this season. ALL of servites best players from last year are gone and Folsoms are returning. Why do you think servites best players left to go to a school like Santa Margarita? I’ll fill you in, it’s because they are going to suck this season. Nobody who follows Cali ball closely thinks servite will even be top 20 in Cali this year. The program was great last season but they will be absolute ass (again) this year. 

book it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

I’m late to the party but Folsom would absolutely blow the doors off servite this season. ALL of servites best players from last year are gone and Folsoms are returning. Why do you think servites best players left to go to a school like Santa Margarita? I’ll fill you in, it’s because they are going to suck this season. Nobody who follows Cali ball closely thinks servite will even be top 20 in Cali this year. The program was great last season but they will be absolute ass (again) this year. 

book it.

Yeah.  We know they always win all the games they never play.  Top team in the country.  Lol. So they must have scheduled up this season.  Who’s on the slate?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pied said:

I don't know why anyone gets that mad at this poll.  Imagine ESPN had an exclusive contract with, let's say the B1G. It shouldn't shock anyone, that if they had a poll(voted solely in house) that B1G teams would get partial treatment.  Now let's say members of another conference, let's say the SEC really didn't want to play B1G teams and didn't play on ESPN.  

It seems logical that ESPN, might for several reasons (money being one), show some impartiality to the SEC teams.  easy to say, ~"well how do we know they're good of they won't play any B1G teams on ESPN!"

This is how I see this poll.  Why would I get upset?  We all know what it is.

Unfortunately, many casual observers-some of whom actually influence policy directly (see the FHSAA)- may not realize what's behind these rankings. It wouldn't surprise me to see ESPN (and Flo sports) refer to these rankings as THE rankings. That can lead casual observers to see them as that prima facie. Then, with the maxpreps ratings, which are done by one guy's computer model found at calpreps.com, those ratings ARE used as fact in determining playoff seeding in Florida. Those ratings are HEAVILY influenced by the number of degrees of separation from California teams. Meaning, if you or your opponents have played a CA team in the last couple of years, you get a boost. The fewer the links in the chain between your team and a CA team, the better. This is because the guy running the model has CA rated as by far the top state. Of course, such an assumption should have absolutely nothing to do with how teams within Florida are seeded in the state playoffs.

4 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

maxpreps ratings, which are done by one guy's computer model found at calpreps.com

Maxpreps uses Calpreps, but it is not their product.  They do have their own, distinct poll, but it's not computer-generated, and that opinion poll is one of the two most-quoted, along with USAT.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, All Dei said:

Maxpreps uses Calpreps, but it is not their product.  They do have their own, distinct poll, but it's not computer-generated, and that opinion poll is one of the two most-quoted, along with USAT.

The "other" poll is the "power" rankings, which is directly from calpreps. That's the one the FHSAA uses to seed for state playoffs! Utter incompetence. Which is to say it is everything we should expect from a governing board.

13 hours ago, 1Since71 said:

Funny that Texas has been rated the top state 7 of the last 10 years at Calpreps.Time for a new conspiracy 😂

I'm not alleging that there is a conspiracy involved. I'm stating what should be obvious: human bias (that of one human in this case) shapes how the ratings turn out through how the model is programmed. So do the inherent limitations in trying to evaluate teams who never play each other, never play any common opponents, or even any common opponents of opponents.  There are states-primarily CA but I've noticed TX and Ohio in year's past- whose teams are given more of a boost than teams in other states. And that determination is made primarily on subjective terms.

I'm not saying I could do any better. But, I'm also not telling states they should use my ratings to seed teams for state playoffs, either.