Georgia News

Just now, Nolebull813 said:

I was thinking about the other teams like Gadsden, Dunbar and NMB. 
Those are not teams a powerhouse shouldn’t be playing. They are decent teams for their area but not the state. 

Gadsden may arguably be a team who could be 50-100 range in Florida (solid program) but usually overschedules

But yes they have no business playing a lowndes though to their credit they took niceville to OT and beat an at the time undefeated Mosely team last year despite their horrible record on paper 

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Outliers:

Milton vs #22 Lipscomb TN on 8/19 and at CBC MO on 8/26 in Canton, OH

#13 Buford vs #19 Thompson AL on 8/19 and vs Mallard Creek NC on 8/26

Lowndes hosting #15 AHP FL on 8/20

Coincidentally, all of these games will be broadcast to a national audience on the FloFootball channel. Subscribe below:

https://flosports.link/3niUeuq

As much as I would like to see AHP lay the SmackDown on lowndes I'm not buying them being #15 in the country but I hope they beat lowndes like they are that good

15 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

Spartansburg finished #752 nationally and  has a very respectable +8  Mendoza rating

I thought the Mendoza ranking drops teams playing teams ranked below them and if Langston is starting in the top 25 then wouldn't playing someone ranked in the 700s drop them?

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I thought the Mendoza ranking drops teams playing teams ranked below them and if Langston is starting in the top 25 then wouldn't playing someone ranked in the 700s drop them?

Langston finished last year at #105.  Spartansburg finished at #762

If Langston started 2022 ranked at #25 and Spartansburg started at #700 then Langson would lose (-7) Mendoza points for scheduling Spartanburg.   And Spartansburg would gain 20 Mendoza points for scheduling Langston

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Mendoza is just another resource for pollsters and fans to consider. 

The way I was talking to Sammy I was under the impression that it will be used to create a formula that would be applied to a ranking to add and drop teams with a low or high Mendoza ranking

Of course we have to see how that will look first

Edited by Columbiafan

Just now, Sammy Swordsman said:

Langston finished last year at #105.  Spartansburg finished at #762

If Langston started 2022 ranked at #25 and Spartansburg started at #700 then Langson would lose (-7) Mendoza points for scheduling Spartanburg.   And Spartansburg would gain 20 Mendoza points for scheduling Langston

Okay that's what I was trying to figure out 

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

The way I was talking to Sammy I was under the impression that it will be used to create a formula that would be applied to a ranking to add and drop teams with a low of high Mendoza ranking

Of course we have to see how that will look first

Right now the Mendoza quantifies a SOS.   For  The Tiers I can say that no team with a negative Mendoza rating would be in Tier 1.  This is due to said team not putting together a schedule that can properly Vett them. 

The Mendoza rating will be based on Non conference/league/district scheduled games.   As the season moves into the conference season, then conference wins (not losses) will be included/added to the Mendoza rating.

For Example:  Santa Margarita has a (-10) starting Mendoza rating which disqualifies them for Tier 1.   Lets say they run the table and beat MD and SJB in league.   Those wins will be included in the Mendoza formula which would add +47 Mendoza points giving Santa Margarita a net +37 Mendoza rating

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Okay that's what I was trying to figure out 

To your question about how Mendoza would/could correlate into team numerical rankings, that has yet to be determined and your input would be appreciated.

Lets Say @Omaha Vol ranks a 5-0 team with a (-20) Mendoza rating at #27.   He also ranks a 5-0 team with a (+5) Mendoza rating at #47, then we would have a quantifiable metric to challenge Omaha Vol's rankings.

• Like 2

Just now, Sammy Swordsman said:

To your question about how Mendoza would/could correlate into team numerical rankings, that has yet to be determined and your input would be appreciated.

Lets Say @Omaha Vol ranks a 5-0 team with a (-20) Mendoza rating at #27.   He also ranks a 5-0 team with a (+5) Mendoza rating at #47, then we would have a quantifiable metric to challenge Omaha Vol's rankings.

I think that's something we been discussing privately but I think next step is to take a few teams at parts of a top 100 and apply a test with the current numbers I suggested and we can see the results after the fact to see if we need to adjust the numbers 

5 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I think that's something we been discussing privately but I think next step is to take a few teams at parts of a top 100 and apply a test with the current numbers I suggested and we can see the results after the fact to see if we need to adjust the numbers 

In the end, it's just a resource to be used by those that choose to. Head to head results vs top-flight opponents (both in-state and OOS) will always be the ultimate factor.  

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

In the end, it's just a resource to be used by those that choose to. Head to head results vs top-flight opponents (both in-state and OOS) will always be the ultimate factor.  

Doesn't MaxPreps computer rankings have a SOS system that directly impacts where a team is ranked?