NationalHSFB.com Preseason Top 25 Rankings

3 hours ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

The ratio of 3 Calif teams and 2 NJ teams needs to be addressed.

The last 2 times both of the ranked NJ played a Calif teams, they were running clocked.

There are probably 14-20 Calif teams that are better than the #2 NJ team and 5-8 Calif teams that are better than NJ #1

And yet this conclusion is based entirely on the strength of the top two teams in CA. All of the other teams that lose to those two end up bumped up in the rankings as a result. When you actually look to see who the other teams outside of the top two BEAT, you're left wanting.

4 hours ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

The ratio of 3 Calif teams and 2 NJ teams needs to be addressed.

The last 2 times both of the ranked NJ played a Calif teams, they were running clocked.

There are probably 14-20 Calif teams that are better than the #2 NJ team and 5-8 Calif teams that are better than NJ #1

That was then. You can't compare these teams with those. Different players no doubt.

Probability?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

And yet this conclusion is based entirely on the strength of the top two teams in CA. All of the other teams that lose to those two end up bumped up in the rankings as a result. When you actually look to see who the other teams outside of the top two BEAT, you're left wanting.

SJB beat 3 or so state champs last year.  Servite beat SJB by 3 TD’s 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sportsnut said:

That was then. You can't compare these teams with those. Different players no doubt.

Probability?

The high school football Apple doesn’t fall far enough from the tree to make a significant difference year over year.

No one is arguing that DBP is significantly better than they were in 2019 or that SJB is significantly worse.

if they play Sept 1 the result would be the same 

1 minute ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

The high school football Apple doesn’t fall far enough from the tree to make a significant difference year over year.

No one is arguing that DBP is significantly better than they were in 2019 or that SJB is significantly worse.

if they play Sept 1 the result would be the same 

Year to year sometimes includes an increase or decrease in talent levels at all positions. Let's say DBP graduated half their secondary. Same happened at SJB but at receiver, with a better talent than DBP obtained at db. That changes the matchup and possibly the game results. 

Just speculating.........

3 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Year to year sometimes includes an increase or decrease in talent levels at all positions. Let's say DBP graduated half their secondary. Same happened at SJB but at receiver, with a better talent than DBP obtained at db. That changes the matchup and possibly the game results. 

Just speculating.........

1.  That didn't happen

2.  It would take alot more than 1 or 2 guys.

Programs matter in terms of underclassmen coming up.  The Top ranked programs have outstanding freshman teams every year

52 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

Has AHP lost some players that I'm not aware of? Last I checked they had a lot of big time players, including a couple of Ohio State commits.

Actually yes they have lost a player or two this off-season to STA and their coach Patrick Surtain also left 

Plus AHP has not been dominant the last few years, they usually get by because of being well coached but coming off a Coaching change and having some down years as of late it's way too early to have them top 25 nationally and them being there is Ranking off their name only

One stud receiver isn't going to make them top 25 in the nation, I would give them top 100 nationally but not top 25

I currently have AHP as 13th in FL (this also includes not having IMG ranked so if you include them it's 14th) 

That's high enough for me to rank them top 100 nationally but I'm not sold on them yet and want to see how they handle the early gauntlet before I'm sold on them still being a top 10 FL team much less top 25 nationally

Unless they get some significant transfers in the next month they will be outside my FL top 10 heading into the preseason

The thing is the rest of the position of Florida teams I can buy into (I have Lakeland higher in my state rankings but I understand their SOS will hurt them in national polls) 

I can name several FL teams who probably deserve top 25 heading into 2022 more than AHP 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

Sammy, 

Could you tier this list please?

If you don’t mind.

Tier 1 - SFA, SJB, IMG, Stache

Tier 2 - BG, Cen10, Miami Central, Westlake, North Shore, Lakeland, STA, Chandler, St. Ed*

Tier 3 - Bergen, Saguaro, Buford, Grayson, SJC, Cham Madonna, Warner Robbins, Thompson

Tier 4 - DBP*, AHP,

Tier 5 - Lipscomb, Long Hughes

Tier 6 - Folsom**

* probation

** autofill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

1.  That didn't happen

2.  It would take alot more than 1 or 2 guys.

Programs matter in terms of underclassmen coming up.  The Top ranked programs have outstanding freshman teams every year

Maybe. I understand the concept. This is not a thing that is reserved for the upper echelon of teams. I see an undefeated middle school team year after year but they falter as they transition to varsity. Coaching and other factors combine for reasons beyond the players control, to make varsity not so as expected.

Hence a down year. Never say never.

2 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Maybe. I understand the concept. This is not a thing that is reserved for the upper echelon of teams. I see an undefeated middle school team year after year but they falter as they transition to varsity. Coaching and other factors combine for reasons beyond the players control, to make varsity not so as expected.

Hence a down year. Never say never.

What is the scouting report on Bergen and DBP?   Now is the time to collect the data.

1 hour ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

SJB beat 3 or so state champs last year.  Servite beat SJB by 3 TD’s 

Servite split the series. And that's one (1) win for a non-top 2 team of note. You start trying to compile a list of major wins for non-top 2 CA teams (DLS of yesteryear excluded) and it's a short, underwhelming list.

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

Actually yes they have lost a player or two this off-season to STA and their coach Patrick Surtain also left 

Plus AHP has not been dominant the last few years, they usually get by because of being well coached but coming off a Coaching change and having some down years as of late it's way too early to have them top 25 nationally and them being there is Ranking off their name only

One stud receiver isn't going to make them top 25 in the nation, I would give them top 100 nationally but not top 25

Mark Fletcher, OSU commit, and a couple of 4* DBs are more than just Innis. 

36 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

What is the scouting report on Bergen and DBP?   Now is the time to collect the data.

From what I see, they both lost tons of talent. Both lost their qb, with Bosco losing qb1 and qb2. Who replaces their qb with the most experience to lead has the upper hand. They both lost wr's, db's and linemen. I don't see a repeat of last year's shutout.

A much closer game with Bergen winning again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

Servite split the series. And that's one (1) win for a non-top 2 team of note. You start trying to compile a list of major wins for non-top 2 CA teams (DLS of yesteryear excluded) and it's a short, underwhelming list.

The first Servite vs SJB game last year was 100% meaningless.  MD already had the league champ locked up.  Vanilla vanilla.  Two weeks later in the playoffs Servite rolled 40-21  

As far as major wins for non Top 2 CA teams, SJB wasn't Top 2 last year and they beat 3 or so State Champs - Miami Central, Oscar Smith, East St. Louis.   JSerra beat Ga defending State Champ Milton a couple years back.   DLS beat Bishop Gorman and Liberty, Cen10 beat Chander, Jokes beat East side Catholic Wa.  Amat beat Aledo.  etc etc etc, MV beat DBP, and Moeller in the Herstreit Classic.   DLS beat Elder, and SJC,... etc etc etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

The first Servite vs SJB game last year was 100% meaningless.  MD already had the league champ locked up.  Vanilla vanilla.  Two weeks later in the playoffs Servite rolled 40-21  

As far as major wins for non Top 2 CA teams, SJB wasn't Top 2 last year and they beat 3 or so State Champs - Miami Central, Oscar Smith, East St. Louis.   JSerra beat Ga defending State Champ Milton a couple years back.   DLS beat Bishop Gorman and Liberty, Cen10 beat Chander, Jokes beat East side Catholic Wa.  Amat beat Aledo.  etc etc etc, MV beat DBP, and Moeller in the Herstreit Classic.   DLS beat Elder, and SJC,... etc etc etc

MD and SJB are obviously the top 2 I refer to. In one (1) season, Servite managed to win one of two games against SJB.  That didn't mean Servite is now top 2 in CA.

2 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

MD and SJB are obviously the top 2 I refer to. In one (1) season, Servite managed to win one of two games against SJB.  That didn't mean Servite is now top 2 in CA.

Servite managed to win 1 of the 1 games (by 3 tds) that either team cared about.  But you know that.  Servite was in fact #2 in CA last year.  You just need to requalify your statement. 

I get your attempted point though which is why I listed some of the other games you forgot about.

8 hours ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

Tier 1 - SFA, SJB, IMG, Stache

Tier 2 - BG, Cen10, Miami Central, Westlake, North Shore, Lakeland, STA, Chandler, St. Ed*

Tier 3 - Bergen, Saguaro, Buford, Grayson, SJC, Cham Madonna, Warner Robbins, Thompson

Tier 4 - DBP*, AHP,

Tier 5 - Lipscomb, Long Hughes

Tier 6 - Folsom**

* probation

** autofill

Sammy...Lakeland is not a group 2 team. Not sure if this was a crapshoot or you actually did your research? Coming from a Florida guy, Chaminade and AHP are both better. They did pick up some transfers from their surrounding area, and usually have a decent regular season then hits the early exit button in the playoffs. Not sold on them.

• Like 2