Texas News & Info

33 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

1 team doesn’t rep the ENTIRE state. This isn’t the nfl. Do other MD powerhouses play SFA? 

Other MD teams like GC and DM have certainly played their fare share of OOS opponents over the years, including SFA. Not to mention the DC teams like SJC and Zaga that often test themselves vs the elites. 

13 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

That’s at least the two next strongest Texas state champions in their non league.

It looks like Cen10 is the only public doing the same 😌 with Thing 1 and The Bishop on their schedule.

Cen10 playing against Mater Dei and Gorman is not ‘doing the same’ as Duncanville.

11 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Other MD teams like GC and DM have certainly played their fare share of OOS opponents over the years, including SFA. Not to mention the DC teams like SJC and Zaga that often test themselves vs the elites. 

This isn’t about the whole dmv. The states stand on their own. DM and GC haven’t played SFA in years, definitely not since SFA came into national prominence several years ago.  When was the last time DM and GC played MD, SJB or IMG? 

my point is there is only 1 MD school scheduling heavy, and that’s SFA.  The rest aren’t. So anyone from MD talking about other states needing to step it up are blind to that fact 

Edited by Horsefly

3 hours ago, Horsefly said:

This isn’t about the whole dmv. The states stand on their own. DM and GC haven’t played SFA in years, definitely not since SFA came into national prominence several years ago.  When was the last time DM and GC played MD, SJB or IMG? 

my point is there is only 1 MD school scheduling heavy, and that’s SFA.  The rest aren’t. So anyone from MD talking about other states needing to step it up are blind to that fact 

In 2021 GC lost to SFA 50-7. Of late the Falcons have scheduled Marietta, SJB, SJP, SJR, CBR and Moe. This season they're playing at EDs. 

And some could say that DeMatha has scheduled even more aggressively during this same time frame. 

On 7/14/2023 at 12:33 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

All I'm saying is that if they go undefeated along with teams like IMG, MD/SJB, SFA, BG, etc., it'll be tough for them to get a #1 ranking since their SOS will be much lower than all of those others. 

That’s debatable! 
Let’s examine SJB schedule

STA - how good are they really?  Did you ever look at the Florida schedule they played? DV is this level with this qb!

Liberty - lay up 

FCA - this lay up like liberty

SFA - serious challenge 

Kahuku - solid team no challenge for SJB 

MD - serious challenge 

All layups in Trinity league games except for MD 

1 or 2 serious games in playoffs 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Texasball said:

That’s debatable! 
Let’s examine SJB schedule

STA - how good are they really?  Did you ever look at the Florida schedule they played? DV is this level with this qb!

Liberty - lay up 

FCA - this lay up like liberty

SFA - serious challenge 

Kahuku - solid team no challenge for SJB 

MD - serious challenge 

All layups in Trinity league games except for MD 

1 or 2 serious games in playoffs 

STA already beat SJB once. Both programs are in the elite category. If SJB beats STA, SFA and MD twice, they’re unanimous #1. 

On the flip side, they could lose all four of those games.

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

STA already beat SJB once. Both programs are in the elite category. If SJB beats STA, SFA and MD twice, they’re unanimous #1. 

On the flip side, they could lose all four of those games.

Lots of unknowns concerning STA…JS.  You going to award them elite with the schedule they played last year?  

There is big difference in the 2023 vs 2017 SJB that STA played.  I will be pulling for STA, however I believe SJB will control this game. I don’t believe STA is at the level of MD/SJB - maybe BG is in that class - you will soon find out that SFA is not in that class either.  

12 hours ago, Texasball said:

There is big difference in the 2023 vs 2017 SJB that STA played.  I will be pulling for STA, however I believe SJB will control this game. I don’t believe STA is at the level of MD/SJB - maybe BG is in that class - you will soon find out that SFA is not in that class either.  

The good thing this year is that each of the T10 elites either play each other or play other elites so we'll have a great indication of who's the true #1 come mid-December. 

STA- SJB

SJB- STA, SFA, MD

MD- SJB, SFA

BG- MC

SFA- Buford, C-M, SJB, MD, IMG

C-M- SFA, BC, MC

MC- BG, C-M

Buford- SFA

IMG- Lips, SJP, Thomp, IMG

SJP- IMG, Lakeland

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The good thing this year is that each of the T10 elites either play each other or play other elites so we'll have a great indication of who's the true #1 come mid-December. 

STA- SJB

SJB- STA, SFA, MD

MD- SJB, SFA

BG- MC

C-M- SFA, BC, MC

MC- BG, C-M

Buford- SFA

IMG- Lips, SJP, IMG

SJP- IMG, Lakeland

Have to admit these are a great slate of games. 

1 hour ago, pied said:

I was talking about Dallas schools. Mater Dei is #1 in California and is also a Catholic school supported by the local Diocese with a different mission than many other private schools. 

As I stated there are several private schools in Dallas that are far superior to Carroll in academics (as well as being a diverse community). 

There are trade offs for everything and certain schools excel at academics more than others. These schools wouldn’t want any part of SLC on the football field but dominate the classroom. 

Carroll School Profile:

https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1674766575/southlakecarrolledu/huu8jlnnepzy4hfwnqya/CSHSProfile.pdf

St. Mark’s School Profile:

https://smtexas.myschoolapp.com/ftpimages/73/download/download_7078078.pdf

Greenhill School Profile:

https://bbk12e1-cdn.myschoolcdn.com/ftpimages/136/misc/misc_213414.pdf

Hockaday School Profile:

https://bbk12e1-cdn.myschoolcdn.com/ftpimages/90/misc/misc_213250.pdf

I have my theories, why do you think these private schools are far superior to the public’s academically?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pied said:

I was talking about Dallas schools. Mater Dei is #1 in California and is also a Catholic school supported by the local Diocese with a different mission than many other private schools. 

As I stated there are several private schools in Dallas that are far superior to Carroll in academics (as well as being a diverse community). 

There are trade offs for everything and certain schools excel at academics more than others. These schools wouldn’t want any part of SLC on the football field but dominate the classroom. 

Carroll School Profile:

https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1674766575/southlakecarrolledu/huu8jlnnepzy4hfwnqya/CSHSProfile.pdf

St. Mark’s School Profile:

https://smtexas.myschoolapp.com/ftpimages/73/download/download_7078078.pdf

Greenhill School Profile:

https://bbk12e1-cdn.myschoolcdn.com/ftpimages/136/misc/misc_213414.pdf

Hockaday School Profile:

https://bbk12e1-cdn.myschoolcdn.com/ftpimages/90/misc/misc_213250.pdf

My point still stands that SLC ISD is very solid academically especially considering the size of the school.  

This is very impressive for SLC - "Post High School 99% of the Class of 2022 matriculated to institutions of higher education: 4 year colleges: 94% 2 year colleges: 5%"

These others are fine academic schools - yet only have roughly 100 graduates each year.  They are selective in the admission process at these schools 

When you consider all aspects of SLC - large public school, Athletics, Academics they are very impressive! To me it's more impressive considering they take on all students, including programs for special ed students which none of those private schools have programs for. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Because they only have roughly 100 graduating sr years each year...The have very selective admission policies.

They also aren’t bogged down with a lot of the BS public schools are dealing with, not to include beaucratic state and sometimes federal standards. 

My goddaughter is in a homeschool consortium and the standards and curriculum is way better than public school (focused on developing critical thinking skills instead of rote memory level test taking and she’s in 2d grade, also learning a second language). 

I think public schools could benefit from decentralization and put control solely at the district level.  

Edited by Horsefly
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, pied said:

I think Carroll ISD is a great district academically, in the arts, and certainly in athletics.  You both bring up great points about the advantages of private schools, these ones specifically. 

To keep this on topic, reposting the one that got this started.  

I think Parish is certainly a school that could afford students an equal education as Carroll ISD.  In addition, there are reasons some students may feel more comfortable there than SLC but those are more. cultural/political than academic or athletic.

This ^    This is the 800 lb gorilla in the room some may not want to admit 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 10:18 AM, GardenStateBaller said:

STA- SJB

SJB- STA, SFA, MD

MD- SJB, SFA

BG- MC

C-M- SFA, BC, MC

MC- BG, C-M

Buford- SFA

IMG- Lips, SJP, Thomp, IMG

SJP- IMG, Lakeland

What state is missing from this list? @SeaShells21 @Horsefly