Texas News & Info

A27DFB5C-47AE-4769-B257-C57E20A7930D_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.4d602d986ebf86cedf239920d8ac8315.jpeg

Since this is a national forum, and the world doesn't revolve around Texas, I thought I would create this graphic to make it easier for those unfamiliar with the Texas teams and which metro area they're from.

For Houston and DFW, I only included the 12 most formidable teams that I thought people would be familiar with or teams that have had recent success in their respective region, I might've left some teams out. Texas is a large state with many teams so it's easy to get confused with them and forget some.

DFW has a lot more brand names that are known nationally, but Houston has a lot of up-and-comers and would even argue that they have a deeper field of talented teams, Dallas is more top-heavy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, WILKINSON said:

A27DFB5C-47AE-4769-B257-C57E20A7930D_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.4d602d986ebf86cedf239920d8ac8315.jpeg

Since this is a national forum, and the world doesn't revolve around Texas, I thought I would create this graphic to make it easier for those unfamiliar with the Texas teams and which metro area they're from.

For Houston and DFW, I only included the 12 most formidable teams that I thought people would be familiar with or teams that have had recent success in their respective region, I might've left some teams out. Texas is a large state with many teams so it's easy to get confused with them and forget some.

DFW has a lot more brand names that are known nationally, but Houston has a lot of up-and-comers and would even argue that they have a deeper field of talented teams, Dallas is more top-heavy. 

Love this. Thanks so much. Two points:

1. One of the highlights of my PGL career was when we sent upstart Life Christian VA down to play Cibolo Steele in 2020 and they beat them 26-14

2. Did you have to include East/Centra/West? 😉 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Love this. Thanks so much. Two points:

1. One of the highlights of my PGL career was when we sent Life Christian VA down to play Cibolo Steele in 2020 and they beat them 26-14

2. Did you have to include East/Centra/West? 😉 

Of course! I want to work on one for Florida because they're very similar to Texas in that they have a copious amount of talented teams in all their metro areas...and mostly because I sometimes forget where a team is from.

Cibolo Steele NEEDS a rematch with LCA to redeem themselves, they just haven't been as hot as they once were. Austin has been dismantling San Antonio teams this past half decade. Would love to see Converse Judson go up against a Georgia team like Buford or Milton.

And I had to give some recognition to the rest (pits) of the state! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WILKINSON said:

This is really helpful.  What are examples of Top teams from each metro scheduling games vs each other?  Is is fairly common or rare?

19 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

This is really helpful.  What are examples of Top teams from each metro scheduling games vs each other?  Is is fairly common or rare?

It's been a happening a lot more recently but not as much as they should. You'll typically have to wait for the playoffs to see Houston vs DFW.

Last year in Pre-District we had several DFW vs Houston and Austin vs DFW:

Austin Westlake vs Euless Trinity

Allen vs Atascocita

Denton Guyer vs Atascocita

Lake Travis vs Rockwall

Lake Travis vs Arlington Martin

DeSoto vs Converse Judson

• Thanks 1

Some big time inner-state games for 2022 at the top of my head are:

DFW:

Southlake Carroll vs Cedar Hill

Allen vs Houston C.E. King

Cedar Hill vs Rockwall

Euless Trinity vs Rockwall-Heath

Denton Guyer vs Aledo

Denton Guyer vs Rockwall-Heath

HOUSTON:

North Shore vs Westfield

Katy vs Atascocita

AUSTIN:

Westlake vs Ridge Point

Edited by WILKINSON

28 minutes ago, WILKINSON said:

Some big time inner-state games for 2022 at the top of my head are:

DFW:

Southlake Carroll vs Cedar Hill

Allen vs Houston C.E. King

Cedar Hill vs Rockwall

Euless Trinity vs Rockwall-Heath

Denton Guyer vs Aledo

Denton Guyer vs Rockwall-Heath

HOUSTON:

North Shore vs Westfield

Katy vs Atascocita

AUSTIN:

Ridge point vs westlake 

14 minutes ago, pied said:

I'd add Arlington Lamar (Panama City Rutherford '98)and Tyler Lee (Cincinnati Colerain '05) in that list as well (I was at both of those games).

Basically referring to the consistent theme that Texas schools don't need to play good teams in other states, because there's no need, but they will do so in nearly every other sport/activity.  That's all.

C'mon, man! That was 17+ years ago. Duncanville plays OOS games annually. That should be the standard for all the best in TX! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pied said:

I'd add Arlington Lamar (Panama City Rutherford '98)and Tyler Lee (Cincinnati Colerain '05) in that list as well (I was at both of those games).

Basically referring to the consistent theme that Texas schools don't need to play good teams in other states, because there's no need, but they will do so in nearly every other sport/activity.  That's all.

Rutherford was a 2nd round loser and Lamar was a 1st round. Neither teams made noise in their respective states. I don’t think that is a good measuring stick in any type of criteria whatsoever 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

C'mon, man! That was 17+ years ago. Duncanville plays OOS games annually. That should be the standard for all the best in TX! 

I hope that even when Duncanville is no longer a preeminent power they continue to challenge themselves by scheduling relevant OOS teams. Hope others like Allen, DeSoto join the wagon by annually playing outside of Texas. Not that there’s any shortage of good teams to play in the state, but it’s fun seeing top TX teams play outside of their comfort zone. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Texas will have 4 huge OOS games this year minimum this year 

Liberty vs ‘Cita

Desoto vs SFA

Allen vs SJB

Duncanville vs (TBA)

I think this might be the biggest slate of marquee OOS games that Texas has ever played? Could be way wrong. My TX football history doesn’t go way back as others. Moved here in 2018.

19 hours ago, WILKINSON said:

I think this might be the biggest slate of marquee OOS games that Texas has ever played? Could be way wrong. My TX football history doesn’t go way back as others. Moved here in 2018.

I agree, I think this is the biggest in the same year. (Could have 3 OOS opponents in the national top 10)

Edited by Horsefly

1 hour ago, pied said:

Well they don’t need to do it, but playing OOS is nice to see. I like Westlake and north shore’s schedules this year. There are a list of Texas games that have either never happened yet or haven’t played in a while that I’d love to see too 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Horsefly said:

That’s not true.  Duncanville, trinity, Allen, cedar hill have faced top teams in football without issue. 

Was going through some archives trying to find TX teams that have faced quality OOS competition before and stumbled upon Euless Trinity's pinnacle.

Euless Trinity went almost an entire decade (2008-2017) facing out-of-state opponents in Pre-District. The year where they went one season without facing a non Texan team was in 2011. 

Their most remarkable opponents were:

De La Salle (CA)

Bellevue (WA)

Bingham (UT)

John Curtis (LA)

• Like 1