Texas News & Info

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

The state will win.  This school choice option has been a maj political push for a while.  And with failing districts like Houston being taken over it gives the state more leverage in the arguments of giving parents options.  

This will change the sports landscape significantly 

Just not sure I am for tax money going to private schools /private business who will still have the ability to pick the students they are willing to except.  

8 hours ago, Texasball said:

Just not sure I am for tax money going to private schools /private business who will still have the ability to pick the students they are willing to except.  

But parents could choose any school type, public or private.  This gives them a larger variety of choices.  They have the legal framework now, it’s closer to a done deal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texasball said:

I only see Private schools benefiting from this.

Every private is not a good school, in theory quality ones will benefit along with quality charter schools and quality suburban/rural publics as there won’t be an incentive to leave. (Why would parents in Southlake or highland park take a voucher to private school?)

This will destroy the inner city schools though.

regardless it’s going to get interesting in what is approved. 

Edited by Horsefly

3 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Every private is not a good school, in theory quality ones will benefit along with quality charter schools and quality suburban/rural publics as there won’t be an incentive to leave. (Why would parents in Southlake or highland park take a voucher to private school?)

This will destroy the inner city schools though.

regardless it’s going to get interesting in what is approved. 

This is spot on and is exactly my thoughts.

Both Tapps and UIL have rules against recruiting and transferring.  Do you believe this will open much bigger gate for transferring across the state both public and private? 

34 minutes ago, Texasball said:

This is spot on and is exactly my thoughts.

Both Tapps and UIL have rules against recruiting and transferring.  Do you believe this will open much bigger gate for transferring across the state both public and private? 

Yes I do. Reading Paxton’s summary it gives me the impression that the choice parents will be allowed to make extends beyond just academic but any reason. If not, it will open up debate that transfers should ONLY be between families and the district/school they choose to transfer to. 

1 hour ago, pied said:

I think there is a lot of good stuff and discussion points here.  

100%, not every school is a good school.  The "better" academic schools now won't be impacted much IMO.  They already have many more applications than spots.  SL is an interesting case and not sure unique.  There is A LOT of unrest in curriculum and stuff people do not want in schools and this is driving that.  I can see several families taking advantage and going to a school that more fits their beliefs and values.  

There are also some schools that could grow because of this and certainly schools that will begin because of it.  Some will be good schools and some will be money grabs.  

All in all, I don't see this having the benefits that the people proposing think it will have.  

On the other hand, it is possible for a group to come in to an area that has poor performing schools and taking the money and developing a better academic environment for the students which clearly would be good.  

This can go in many directions. But I am very confident regardlesss, it will be the doom for inner city districts. The better students will absolutely flock to neighboring ISDs or enroll in pop up privates etc 

it’s going to be a money grab unfortunately 

Athletically , if the UIL wants to survive they’ll need to loosen transfer rules.  Otherwise the incentive to transfer to a private, with a voucher in hand, will be too enticing.  (I’m all for it anyways so that’s good) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

They all played a loooong time ago when teams like Allen and Highland Park were actually relevant. HSFB is a way different world now. In 10 years this chart won't have any on it. 

Hurts and Mahomes didn’t play for powerhouse programs.  The opportunity for personalized coaching will be available for future athletes as well.  Texas recruits aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:30 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

They all played a loooong time ago when teams like Allen and Highland Park were actually relevant. HSFB is a way different world now. In 10 years this chart won't have any on it. 

Jesus Christ - Allen could be seriously good again both in Texas and nationally.  The fucking rise of some recruited up vomit 🤮 in your face private schools is not why they have dropped!  The potential for them to be seriously good again is greater than say BC, DBP and many other vomit 🤮 private schools that you give free pass to while so many of them suck up the field year after year!!

Oh I forgot…This is ridiculous fucking post and you are damn sure know prophet! 

Fact - playing at recruited up private school does not up chances to make the Pros.