#4 SFA 0 at #10 Buford 18 Final

St. Frances Academy (Md.) at Buford

When, where: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Tom Riden Stadium, Buford
Records, rankings: St. Frances Academy (9-1 in 2022) is No. 1 in Maryland (MaxPreps); Buford (11-1 in 2022) is No. 1 in Georgia’s Class 7A.
Last meeting: This is the teams’ first meeting.
Things to know: St. Frances is a 195-year-old Catholic school in Baltimore and one of the oldest historically African American schools in the country. Its football team has finished in MaxPreps’ final top 10 four of the past five seasons and is in the top four of six national polls currently. University of Georgia LB Jamon Dumas-Johnson is a former player there. Seven St. Frances seniors are committed to Division I programs. They are QB Michael Van Buren (Oregon), RB DeJuan Williams (Maryland), OL Logan Bennett (Michigan State), LB Darius Jones (Wake Forest), LB Simeon Coleman (Cincinnati) and CB Ify Obidegwu (Oregon). Buford, ranked in the top 10 of six national polls, is also well-armed. That starts with QB Dylan Raiola, the consensus No. 1 recruit in the country. He’s joined by fellow five-star recruits DL Eddrick Houston and DB K.J. Bolden. Buford is 13-3 all-time against out-of-state teams. FloFootball will stream the game.

Thanks for making this game happen.  I do think Buford's in over its head, especially for Game 1, against a perennial Tier 1 for whom travel is practically no handicap whatsoever.  Coaching at the top tier privates is different, too.  I think Raiola gets a rude welcome.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, All Dei said:

Thanks for making this game happen.  I do think Buford's in over its head, especially for Game 1, against a perennial Tier 1 for whom travel is practically no handicap whatsoever.  Coaching at the top tier privates is different, too.  I think Raiola gets a rude welcome.

A few more of these and maybe the City Schools along with the private and parochial schools who have been treated poorly, will exit GHSA, go independent, and amp it up and go big-time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

A few more of these and maybe the City Schools along with the private and parochial schools who have been treated poorly, will exit GHSA, go independent, and amp it up and go big-time.

Not going to happen. Not that many city schools would be willing to exit the GHSA. If they do, they have no platform for other sports on the same level. 

There may be 10-15 private schools in the GHSA playing football and even fewer that are truly competative. It is primarily made up of county schools and that relationship between county and state is strong.

18 hours ago, JCGIII said:

It would be an interesting scenario.  The talent in GA, per capita, is second to none.  A power private there would be scary.

• Like 1