Florida News

16 minutes ago, MC ROCKETS said:

I never once said, nor do I care if you are wrong. What I do know is YOU don't make one damn decision when it comes to this, so all those long a$$ paragraphs are irrelevant! 

Neither do you, if this board was for MAKING decisions it would have been promoted as something completely different

It doesn't mean that people can't discuss potential solutions 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MC ROCKETS said:

First of all, if you're going to write something that many will see, at least be grammatical correct in your spelling. It's "you're" not "your." I know that and I'm from Miami! 🤣 

Secondly like I said to you a few years back on the Florida forum, is being correct or first on a message board going pay "your" bills, put food on "your" table, etc.? (You see how I used "your" in the right context?)

Who were your English teachers up there in Lake City?

I do just fine with English I just don't waste time with it on something as informal as a message board 

If this was a formal setting I would put far more effort into something like that

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MC ROCKETS said:

#runningclock 🤣

Of course it would be 

A small public school splitting kids in a county of 60k playing a team getting a lot of  top kids in Broward and Dade county which both have over 1m people each 

Miami Central should be able to running clock Columbia, if it was close then it only makes them look bad because of how outmatched Columbia would be talent wise

But again that matchup shows exactly why classifications are currently broken 

A 6a team from Lake City can't pull 1/20th of the talent that a 6a Dade team like MNW or Central can in a single off-season of "talent acquisition" 

As long as student enrollment is the lone aspect of classifications we will never see any balance in the state of Florida

7 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Of course it would be 

A small public school splitting kids in a county of 60k playing a team getting a lot of  top kids in Broward and Dade county which both have over 1m people each 

Miami Central should be able to running clock Columbia, if it was close then it only makes them look bad because of how outmatched Columbia would be talent wise

@Sammy SwordsmanAre we going to publish an Excuse Thread here? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

@Sammy SwordsmanAre we going to publish an Excuse Thread here? 

It's not an excuse it's the reality of high school football in this state

In a state like California a team like Miami Central would be thrown with every other top team in the state so they wouldn't be facing inferior teams but in Florida by the FHSAA standards both programs have an equal path to contend for a championship but that's so far from reality that it shows the FHSAA inability to adapt and shows how much change really is needed so teams will be placed with like minded teams 

• Like 2

Just now, Columbiafan said:

It's not an excuse it's the reality of high school football in this state

In a state like California a team like Miami Central would be thrown with every other top team in the state so they wouldn't be facing inferior teams but in Florida by the FHSAA standards both programs have an equal path to contend for a championship but that's so far from reality that it shows the FHSAA inability to adapt and shows how much change really is needed so teams will be placed with like minded teams 

I feel your pain. FL could be much better in this respect. 

California switched to playoff divisions based on Calpreps ratings.  Enrollment is not part of the equation, only competitive equity. 

Back in the pre 2010 era (maybe earlier) enrollment was king.  Now with all the transfers and open enrollments, you have small schools with 300 boys (Serra Los Angeles) beating Poly (5000 kids) in football.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

California switched to playoff divisions based on Calpreps ratings.  Enrollment is not part of the equation, only competitive equity. 

Back in the pre 2010 era (maybe earlier) enrollment was king.  Now with all the transfers and open enrollments, you have small schools with 300 boys (Serra Los Angeles) beating Poly (5000 kids) in football.

Now see that's kinda of where Florida is at 

But idk if the traditionalists of this state will be receptive to that idea unfortunately but I'm hopeful that urban vs suburban will be a step towards that 

On 2/22/2022 at 7:34 AM, Columbiafan said:

How?!!

How does this solve public schools getting over 20 transfers and smashing teams in the finals who are completely outmatched talent wise because there isn't a prayer they can get enough talent to keep up with the recruiting public schools? 

They pass that dumb idea of separating publics vs privates you will get the same blowouts you get now and people will see once and for all that privates weren't the problem that needed to be fixed 

Let's break this down for you in simple terms, since this comes down to the very basic difference between the two that you clearly fail to understand.

1. Public schools are funded mainly by your property taxes and mainly based on geography. The people that live in a school zone fund and attend those schools. That is a basic definition of a public school. The tax payers in those school districts make the rules on who can attend. However, a PUBLIC SCHOOL DOES NOT SOLICIT STUDENTS, THE STUDENTS THAT ATTEND LIVE IN THE ZONE OR STUDENTS APPLY TO ATTEND WHO LIVE OUT OFTHE ZONE IF THIS ALLOWED BY THE SCHOOL DISTRICT.

2. Private schools are funded by tuition of students and donations from alumni and like-minded foundations. They do not rely on tax dollars. The privte schools make the rules on who can attend. A PRIVATE SCHOOL MUST SOLICIT STUDENTS OR IT DOES NOT EXIST. 

Now carry this over to athletics. Private schools solicit students to exist and there is a natural carry over for athletes, who are often OFFERED reduced or free tuition to attend if they play sports and follow the school's rules. Public schools use who they have. That means kids that live in the zone for the most part or kids who apply to attend the school.

Once a private school athletic program becomes strong, top athletes from around the area are either solicited to attend or ask the school to attend, and may end up attending for reduced or free tuition. Top private school athletic programs become well funded and will naturally have competitive advantages over a public school. I realize that this is not the case for every private school, but it is becoming more routine by the year. These schools realized that very successful sports programs create a high profile for the school and create a demand to attend, resulting in larger attendance at higher tuition (except of course for select elite athletes who will attend for reduced or free tuition). In essence, private schools are using an NCAA model while public schools are just that, public schools. Yes, some will attract a lot of transfers, but remember, a private school is essentially made up 100 of "transfers" because those families with kids there chose to attend and pay (for the educational and athletic advantages).

By separating these different species of schools, you create a much more balanced field. I'm not advocating against public schools playing private schools in the regular season or in post-playoff bowls, but they should not be competing in the same field for championships.

Just now, 181pl said:

Let's break this down for you in simple terms, since this comes down to the very basic difference between the two that you clearly fail to understand.

1. Public schools are funded mainly by your property taxes and mainly based on geography. The people that live in a school zone fund and attend those schools. That is a basic definition of a public school. The tax payers in those school districts make the rules on who can attend. However, a PUBLIC SCHOOL DOES NOT SOLICIT STUDENTS, THE STUDENTS THAT ATTEND LIVE IN THE ZONE OR STUDENTS APPLY TO ATTEND WHO LIVE OUT OFTHE ZONE IF THIS ALLOWED BY THE SCHOOL DISTRICT.

2. Private schools are funded by tuition of students and donations from alumni and like-minded foundations. They do not rely on tax dollars. The privte schools make the rules on who can attend. A PRIVATE SCHOOL MUST SOLICIT STUDENTS OR IT DOES NOT EXIST. 

Now carry this over to athletics. Private schools solicit students to exist and there is a natural carry over for athletes, who are often OFFERED reduced or free tuition to attend if they play sports and follow the school's rules. Public schools use who they have. That means kids that live in the zone for the most part or kids who apply to attend the school.

Once a private school athletic program becomes strong, top athletes from around the area are either solicited to attend or ask the school to attend, and may end up attending for reduced or free tuition. Top private school athletic programs become well funded and will naturally have competitive advantages over a public school. I realize that this is not the case for every private school, but it is becoming more routine by the year. These schools realized that very successful sports programs create a high profile for the school and create a demand to attend, resulting in larger attendance at higher tuition (except of course for select elite athletes who will attend for reduced or free tuition). In essence, private schools are using an NCAA model while public schools are just that, public schools. Yes, some will attract a lot of transfers, but remember, a private school is essentially made up 100 of "transfers" because those families with kids there chose to attend and pay (for the educational and athletic advantages).

By separating these different species of schools, you create a much more balanced field. I'm not advocating against public schools playing private schools in the regular season or in post-playoff bowls, but they should not be competing in the same field for championships.

Ever since open enrollment this no longer applies 

Don't believe me ask Joshua Wilson on the FHSF board and he will explain this to you 

Now a kid that lives in say Duval county can choose to attend ANY school public or private in county or out of county as long as they can provide their own transportation and the school is not at capacity

ONLY IF THEY ARE AT CAPACITY MUST A STUDENT PROVE THAT THEY LIVE IN THE SCHOOL'S ZONE IN ORDER TO TRANSFER IN 

3 minutes ago, 181pl said:

A team like Miami Central or Northwestern gets 15-20 transfers a year, hell Miami Killian got over 10 transfers this past year 

What makes playing them any more balanced than playing Tampa Jesuit who doesn't even accept upperclassmen transfers which is what I was told by a coach in Hillsborough county when I asked about Jesuit after the season? 

And again since the recent rule change there are nearly 0 restrictions regarding public school transfers so how exactly are those programs any different now? If anything it's easier for public schools to get transfers because they don't have any academic restrictions for applying like some private schools have 

The only way you will ever get balance is by putting Duval, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Orange, Palm Beach, Broward and Dade county together for playoffs since the top teams in those counties public or private have shown they can get far more talent in one off-season from other local schools than most of the state can get in years of working hard 

Now the problem I see with Metro/suburban is the fact the FHSAA didn't go all in with it 

The best way would be split metro into 4 and then use 4 25% win quadrants over 2 year cycles so teams would move up or down based on how much they win in those 2 years, that would help the schools who struggle even while in metro areas but it would also move a team up that say suddenly goes and wins 2 titles in a row in quadrant 3 as they likely end up quadrant 1 or 2 in the subsequent cycle 

Granted I personally felt Lee, Polk and Brevard county were large enough to be grouped into metro but I guess the FHSAA didn't think so, I also wrote up a proposal a few years ago that I felt would apply here as it would have a more in depth breakdown but really do a lot to address the current issues by getting teams from similar sized counties placed together 

24 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I didn't but I'm not overly surprised

Miami Central has been one of the most talented programs not just in FL but America over the past decade, lot of good kids coming out of that program as of late

Any public team that schedules St John Bosco CA and Bishop Gorman NV in the same season has my respect forever. 

• Like 2