The Tiers - 2021 end of year

Tier 1 -   Mater Dei, SJB,  Westlake, SFA, Servite, STA

Tier 2 –    Bergen Catholic, Cen10, Duncanville, North Shore, Jesuit, IMG, Miami Central, Bishop Gorman, Hamilton, Saguaro,

Tier 3  -  SLC, Venice, St. Ed, Chaminade Madonna, Collins Hill, Graham Kaposwsin, Center Grove

Tier 4 -  Buford, Lone Peak, Cathedral (San Diego), Warner Robbins, Atasocita, Cardinal Gibbons, Milton, Allen, North Cobb, Oakland, SJC, Dematha, OLGC, Mission Viejo, Katy, Guyer, College Station, Kahuku

Tier 5    Walton, Sierra Canyon, Alemeny, Sierra Canyon, Aledo, Lowndes, South Oak Cliffe, OLU,

Tier 6 – Los Al, Folsom, Jenks, St. X, DBP, Serra, American Fork, SJP, Hoover, St. Louis, East St. Louis (IL), Oscar Smith, DLS

This does not attempt to place All teams.  Unlisted Teams worthy of being in the Top 6 Tiers can be considered upon request.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 1Since71 said:

Put tier 1 in order

The Tiers are more of a placement rather than a ranking.  Teams on the same Tier should be able to play each other within 2 scores in a majority of match ups.

We will have other ranking lists such as the No Nonsense poll (by Omaha Vol) and Whiteshoes poll.

Attached is an end of year comp poll that is pretty good.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRUC7RkwXZXnSjqJ7AJysZEl5W-TtmiDBw3vY_56L5zp9slLQliF7P1l4Hmf0YaLJa5IkQezpnq39Rw/pubhtml

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

Tier 2 –    Bergen Catholic, Cen10, Duncanville, North Shore, Jesuit, IMG, Miami Central, Bishop Gorman, Hamilton, Saguaro,

Tier 3  -  SLC, Venice, St. Ed, Chaminade Madonna, Collins Hill, Graham Kaposwsin, Center Grove

Tier 4 -  Buford, Lone Peak, Cathedral (San Diego), Warner Robbins, Atasocita, Cardinal Gibbons, Milton, Allen, North Cobb, Oakland, SJC, Dematha, OLGC, Mission Viejo, Katy, Guyer, College Station, Kahuku

Tier 5    Walton, Sierra Canyon, Alemeny, Sierra Canyon, Aledo, Lowndes, South Oak Cliffe, OLU,

Tier 6 – Los Al, Folsom, Jenks, St. X, DBP, Serra, American Fork, SJP, Hoover, St. Louis, East St. Louis (IL), Oscar Smith, DLS

This does not attempt to place All teams.  Unlisted Teams worthy of being in the Top 6 Tiers can be considered upon request.

MD in ‘tier 0’ by themselves. I agree with your teams in tier 1. But if a team has 3 wins against other teams in the tier, shouldn’t they be in a higher tier? Serious question.

13 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

MD in ‘tier 0’ by themselves. I agree with your teams in tier 1. But if a team has 3 wins against other teams in the tier, shouldn’t they be in a higher tier? Serious question.

If the 3 wins were all by Three plus scores, then we would have a case for a Tier 0.  So far we have not gone to a Tier 0 so doing that would break precedent and require extreme beat downs of other Tier 1 teams.  Some think SFA by the end of the season would have a legit chance of beating anyone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

If the 3 wins were all by Three plus scores, then we would have a case for a Tier 0.  So far we have not gone to a Tier 0 so doing that would break precedent and require extreme beat downs of other Tier 1 teams.  Some think SFA by the end of the season would have a legit chance of beating anyone.

SFA was great no doubt. I just don’t think they had a passing game sophisticated enough to seriously threaten MD.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

Jesuit beat STA head to head and went undefeated

I have a hard time buying Jesuit not being same tier with that in mind, either STA should be tier 2 or Jesuit should be tier 1

• Thanks 1

I also have a hard time seeing Venice not at least being ranked on par with the other top FL teams 

They were playing very much lights out down the stretch including smashing a very talented West Orange team 49-7, smashed the two year champs (2019 8a champs and 2020 tri county champs) in Columbus 35-7, and blasted a strong Apopka team 35-7 on route to a state title 

IMG in contrast faced one team even close to their level and got beat convincingly

I wouldn't have hesitated to rank Venice over IMG but they belong same tier 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Jesuit beat STA head to head and went undefeated

I have a hard time buying Jesuit not being same tier with that in mind, either STA should be tier 2 or Jesuit should be tier 1

It’s a tough call if you are looking at things in a linear fashion.

To STA credit they have the SFA win plus Cardinal Gibbons.   Jesuit has only STA which was by all accounts a weird week considering the game was not on the schedule and put together that week.   IMO it was a one off (close game) that STA normally would win.   Beating STA is what gets Jesuit. To Tier 2.   Otherwise they don’t have much of a resume 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

To STA credit they have the SFA win plus Cardinal Gibbons.   Jesuit has only SFA which was by all accounts a weird week considering the game was. It on the schedule and put together that week.   IMO it was a one off (close game) that STA normally would win.   Beating STA is what gets Jesuit. To Tier 2.   Otherwise they don’t have much of a resume 

Undefeated, smashed MNW in final 4 and won 6a is still a pretty good resume

1 hour ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

To STA credit they have the SFA win plus Cardinal Gibbons.   Jesuit has only SFA which was by all accounts a weird week considering the game was. It on the schedule and put together that week.   IMO it was a one off (close game) that STA normally would win.   Beating STA is what gets Jesuit. To Tier 2.   Otherwise they don’t have much of a resume 

That may be a fair point but I know when I rank that if a team won head to head and is undefeated that team will always be ranked higher in my rankings

Head to head should always take precedent over SOS or strength of resume when said winner finishes undefeated

Now if Jesuit lost in the season afterwards than by all means STA belongs higher because that head to head game holds less weight but that's just how I personally feel in that situation

You have your own system and I think you have gotten better with the Florida teams and you usually do take my comments especially early in the season with the Florida teams into account so I usually think the tiers are overall in a good spot even if I have a different opinion on a few teams placement from time to time

Overall good work on it though

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I also have a hard time seeing Venice not at least being ranked on par with the other top FL teams 

They were playing very much lights out down the stretch including smashing a very talented West Orange team 49-7, smashed the two year champs (2019 8a champs and 2020 tri county champs) in Columbus 35-7, and blasted a strong Apopka team 35-7 on route to a state title 

IMG in contrast faced one team even close to their level and got beat convincingly

I wouldn't have hesitated to rank Venice over IMG but they belong same tier 

Venice has a good run in the state playoffs.   They are definitely in the conversation.   Venice did lose to Cardinal Gibbons which lost to STA, and also lost to AHP.  Even with that, Venice winning Fla does merit debate for being in Tier 2.

3 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

Name (1) 4* player on their  team 

Doesn’t matter. Their defense was outstanding and their secondary ELITE. GSB is 100% in that they played MD better than anybody. And as I mentioned several times, MD did not take them lightly. We fear  Cen10 as much, if not more, than anybody.

• Like 2