NE Ohio vs The USA event (Aug 18/19, 2023)

I was expecting some very good games this weekend but sorely disappointed in the contests.    Not only that, but we had to pay a $12 gate fee for each game and $10 parking at Benson Stadium.   We left at halftime of the final two games as it was apparent that neither contest was going to generate a lot of interest.     Most likely saw three future state champions from Ohio while it was very apparent that Frederick Douglass must have lost a lot from last season, Dinwiddie appeared to have some game in them, but the running game of Glenville just ran them over and St. Ed's defense smothered Center Grove's offense the entire game.   Hopefully something like this event can continue with changes made both in the teams and fees.    We would have preferred to pay a "session fee" once instead of having to purchase online tickers for each game.

23 minutes ago, whiteshoes12 said:

I was expecting some very good games this weekend but sorely disappointed in the contests.    Not only that, but we had to pay a $12 gate fee for each game and $10 parking at Benson Stadium.   We left at halftime of the final two games as it was apparent that neither contest was going to generate a lot of interest.     Most likely saw three future state champions from Ohio while it was very apparent that Frederick Douglass must have lost a lot from last season, Dinwiddie appeared to have some game in them, but the running game of Glenville just ran them over and St. Ed's defense smothered Center Grove's offense the entire game.   Hopefully something like this event can continue with changes made both in the teams and fees.    We would have preferred to pay a "session fee" once instead of having to purchase online tickers for each game.

Thanks for the update. Great concept. Shitty OOS teams. With few exception OHs mantra is to win OOS games vs shoddy competition rather than #playthebest and compete favorably or lose. 

@reggid @hardhit1 

31 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Thanks for the update. Great concept. Shitty OOS teams. With few exception OHs mantra is to win OOS games vs shoddy competition rather than #playthebest and compete favorably or lose. 

@reggid @hardhit1 

They need to bring back Herbstreit’s Classic. Much better OOS comp back then. 

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

Can't happen as the local promoter barely has a pot to piss in let alone the ability to invest in the evnt. Did you read the post above? Each fan had to pay $12 per game. Who does that? 

I agree with Whiteshoes. Should’ve just sold session tickets. Lol

11 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

@reggid @hardhit1 

I can't say the OOS teams were shitty, no doubt that they were not at the level of the Ohio teams but would be willing to bet that each will get better as the season goes on.   Douglass looked the worse of the four OOS teams so they may not do much this season, but I look for Center Grove and Dinwiddie to do well in their respective states and Valdosta being competitive in Georgia.   BTW, when are you going to get something setup at Lucas Oil Stadium so as to cut my drive length?  😀

10 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

They need to bring back Herbstreit’s Classic. Much better OOS comp back then. 

Went to all the Herbstreit games back in the day.   Nippert was a great site, and the competition could not have been better.   For some reason, these events just have trouble financially.   I realize that there is huge cost involved, but there has to be sponsorship out there that would back these events.   Another part of the problem I think is the selection of teams.    This year's event at Canton/Massillon involved four teams within an hour drive while the OOS teams were from Georgia, Indiana, Virginia, and Kentucky.   To get people there you must have local representation and programs that travel well.   Another factor is the location of the event.    Friday night the game was at Massillon Washington High School with the atmosphere adding to the event.   It felt like a normal Friday night game.    With Benson Stadium, it is so large that even a large group for a high school game (8,000) gets swallowed up and it appears that no one attended.   My suggestion would be to conduct these things at large high school facilities or small college facilities that can accommodate that crowd size, provide adequate parking, concessions and other amenities that would make the event enjoyable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whiteshoes12 said:

Went to all the Herbstreit games back in the day.   Nippert was a great site, and the competition could not have been better.   For some reason, these events just have trouble financially.   I realize that there is huge cost involved, but there has to be sponsorship out there that would back these events.   Another part of the problem I think is the selection of teams.    This year's event at Canton/Massillon involved four teams within an hour drive while the OOS teams were from Georgia, Indiana, Virginia, and Kentucky.   To get people there you must have local representation and programs that travel well.   Another factor is the location of the event.    Friday night the game was at Massillon Washington High School with the atmosphere adding to the event.   It felt like a normal Friday night game.    With Benson Stadium, it is so large that even a large group for a high school game (8,000) gets swallowed up and it appears that no one attended.   My suggestion would be to conduct these things at large high school facilities or small college facilities that can accommodate that crowd size, provide adequate parking, concessions and other amenities that would make the event enjoyable.

The rent at Tom Benson is exorbitant. I know from the event we held there last season. Agree with you all around. Every event that PGL promotes is held at the high school level (Broward vs USA, Ironton, Georgia vs USA, Trinity League vs USA, etc.). Hence, why we always turn big profits. 

• 4 weeks later...

Since 2021, PGL has generated close to $600,000 in rights fees, which have been passed on to our member programs from Seattle to Miami. We offered this event organizer a ton of money to broadcast his entire event to national audiences on the Flo Football channel. He thought he could get more and is paying the ultimate price now. 

Ohio HSFB is yet again in the news for all the wrong reasons. As @THEOC89 recently posted.....HSFB in Ohio seems like a cesspool. In the end it all starts at the top.