NJ Power Private News

Russo bringing new life into Paramus Catholic as team eyes return to N.J.’s elite

• Published: Sep. 01, 2022, 8:00 p.m.
HS Football: Super Football Conference Media Day at MetLife Stadium.

Paramus Catholic Head Coach Greg Russo answers questions during the Super Football Conference Media Day at MetLife Stadium on Aug. 22, 2022. Paramus Catholic opens the season against Hudson Catholic on Saturday.Tom Horak | For NJ Advance Media

facebook
twitter

Signed-in readers now can bookmark stories to read later.
NEW!

From a short distance, Greg Russo saw and heard what was happening at his alma mater.

Russo, a Paramus Catholic grad, was less than 10 miles up the road, leading Northern Highlands to two sectional champions during his three seasons as head coach.

During that same span, Paramus Catholic was reeling, going through coach after coach and going winless the last two seasons.

It’s a far cry from where Paramus Catholic used to be, churning out players like Jabrill Peppers and Rashan Gary, and winning multiple state championships with Russo serving as the offensive coordinator.

The allure of returning to Paramus Catholic, searching for its third coach in four years, weighed on Russo’s mind after wrapping up a 12-1 season with Northern Highlands last year.

It was an opportunity too good to pass up for Russo. He took the job in December, and is currently trying to get the Paladins out of the doldrums of the Non-Public powers and back among the elite.

It begins with a matchup against Hudson Catholic at 1 p.m. Saturday at Caven Point in Jersey City.

“We accomplished a lot over (at Northern Highlands), and I couldn’t ask for a better situation than I had,” Russo said. “And really, the only situation where I would’ve left is for here. I went here. I coached here. I had a great time here. I saw that they were down, and I want to change it. I want to fix it and put it back how it was and put us back on top of the parochials.”

Chris Maldonado witnessed Paramus Catholic’s rise and then fall as a program. He was Russo’s first quarterback in 2011, and graduated right before the Paladins went on their run of championships.

Maldonado returned four years ago as an assistant, right when Paramus Catholic hit its tailspin. He saw the turnover, with head coaches coming in and flaming out. He is one of the few holders from the previous staff, now coaching wide receivers, and has seen Russo bring in a new outlook.

“It’s definitely been a breath of fresh air. It’s exciting. The energy is up,” Maldonado said. “It’s been awesome. It’s definitely what the school needed, what the program needed. He definitely is breathing life into the thing.”

An infusion of talent has helped, with players transferring to the school, including offensive lineman Juan Minaya, who has close to a dozen Division I offers, including looks from Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi, Penn State and Pittsburgh.

Players have adapted to Russo’s coaching style, which relies on discipline on and off the field. Senior Zyil Powell, a Temple commit, said the chemistry surrounding the team has changed, and players are holding themselves accountable. Powell added it helps Russo knows the history of the program.

“The guys that were already here and heard he was coming in, everybody was excited because you know his history and you know what he did,” Powell said. “Everything he said he’s going to do, he’s been doing. We met Jabrill Peppers, and when he came in, it lifted the morale a little bit. It’s exciting knowing that you have a coach that could get you to that level.”

Even though Paramus Catholic is in a transition period, Russo has not shied away from keeping expectations high. The Paladins have a grueling schedule playing in the SFC’s United White Division.

Paramus Catholic’s final six games of the regular season are against DePaul, Delbarton, Seton Hall Prep, St. Peter’s Prep, Don Bosco Prep and Bergen Catholic, all teams ranked in the NJ.com Top 20.

“We’re going to have struggles, right, and we’re going to push through it. But the expectation is to win now,” Russo said. “… The expectation is anywhere else for that. We’re preparing to win, and that’s why we’re doing it all. That’s the whole reason. It doesn’t mean you’re going to win every game, but the expectation is to win. I don’t care if it’s Bergen or Bosco or Joe’s or DePaul and Seton Hall (Prep). Go win. Go win.”

33 minutes ago, MickeyBern said:

right now I would agree..your D is the soft spot and that includes your front 7...points will be scored against you in the BNU  can your O match???

I said 3-4 times on another thread our D was a work in progress.  You saw that.  

i couldn’t reveal it too early.  

4 minutes ago, Testadura said:

I said 3-4 times on another thread our D was a work in progress.  You saw that.  

i couldn’t reveal it too early.  

yes  I waited to see with my own eyes. To be fair the few balls thrown down field were perfectly thrown into good coverage but DBP can be run on 

2 minutes ago, MickeyBern said:

yes  I waited to see with my own eyes. To be fair the few balls thrown down field were perfectly thrown into good coverage but DBP can be run on 

I would have guessed the opposite.  Last week without Bisontis and Moreno on D Bisco easily shut down the run.  The coverage was suspect.  

Are they playing on the DL?

1 minute ago, Testadura said:

Power?   Speed?   Elusive?   Good OL?

1 minute ago, Testadura said:

Power?   Speed?   Elusive?   Good OL?

I said this is about the game at Metlife to a friend who was with me. Bisontis is done a disservice playing both ways. He was gassed by the 3rd quarter in that Champ game. He ccan't be expected to play both ways for 4 quarters against BNU competition

2 minutes ago, MickeyBern said:

I said this is about the game at Metlife to a friend who was with me. Bisontis is done a disservice playing both ways. He was gassed by the 3rd quarter in that Champ game. He ccan't be expected to play both ways for 4 quarters against BNU competition

So he played both ways?  

And he got hurt at MetLife.  

8 minutes ago, Testadura said:

So he played both ways?  

And he got hurt at MetLife.  

I don't know about hurt, all I know is is that he was exhausted and not as effective in the 2nd half.  Called for holding twice..This isn't 1988, linemen can't go both ways anymore against top competition

Edited by MickeyBern

26 minutes ago, MickeyBern said:

I don't know about hurt, all I know is is that he was exhausted and not as effective in the 2nd half.  Called for holding twice..This isn't 1988, linemen can't go both ways anymore against top competition

He was gimping after q2.  He didn’t leave but he couldn’t walk straight.  

1 hour ago, BNU04 said:

As I told you, there is very lil separation with the teams in the league, Bosco lacks game breaking speed and it hurts them vs athletic teams, and I have SPP in front of them because of it. Carry on...

But BC looked great, right?  I went to bed before game’s end. 

2 hours ago, BNU04 said:

As I told you, there is very lil separation with the teams in the league, Bosco lacks game breaking speed and it hurts them vs athletic teams, and I have SPP in front of them because of it. Carry on...

Over the many year’s, especially in what I do and read, smart people says things in such a concise way without explanation that what’s so great about it is missed.  

I put your comment above—and othersog you’re—in that class.  (I still claim I know you from Rivals.)   

some of those runs are NOT TDs for other backs, but the score doesn’t tell you that.  

if you have no speed, then HS kids have to go 70 yds over 12 plays all too often.  

I’ve said that before but it’s seamless with you.  I ignored it this year but I’m a fool anyway   

and so on.  I really think Toal understood that

Sabella can easily work with this team if no injuries, but it takes time and we need playoffs to show we’re at later in season   

great work

2 hours ago, Testadura said:

Over the many year’s, especially in what I do and read, smart people says things in such a concise way without explanation that what’s so great about it is missed.  

I put your comment above—and othersog you’re—in that class.  (I still claim I know you from Rivals.)   

some of those runs are NOT TDs for other backs, but the score doesn’t tell you that.  

if you have no speed, then HS kids have to go 70 yds over 12 plays all too often.  

I’ve said that before but it’s seamless with you.  I ignored it this year but I’m a fool anyway   

and so on.  I really think Toal understood that

Sabella can easily work with this team if no injuries, but it takes time and we need playoffs to show we’re at later in season   

great work

Couldn't agree more. Sabella will figure out a way to have them where they need to be, but getting down by two scores when you lack big play ability is a recipe for disaster. Bosco is at their best when running behind chase and Chris, chew clock, taking care of ball, playing field position. They should follow the Bergen Catholic model. Only problem is Bosco’s back 7 aren't reliable at this point in the season. If the other team breaks second level Bosco hasn't shown that they have anyone that can run. I saw multiple pass plays where if the receiver has just a step or two more they could've turned into home runs. Most the other teams in the league have guys that would've turned some of those catches across the middle into home runs if not huge chunk plays. I know the Omari kid is supposed to be fast but everyone else is pretty much possession receivers. 

Edited by BNU04
  • Like 1