Texas News & Info

11 hours ago, WILKINSON said:

I think this might be the biggest slate of marquee OOS games that Texas has ever played? Could be way wrong. My TX football history doesn’t go way back as others. Moved here in 2018.

TX actually has a long history of OOS games.  We are a public State and I dont know of any other public State that has played these teams the last 17 years.  Bellevue 2x, STA, Cocoa 2x, East UT, Bingham UT, Shiloh Christian, ECA, LA, ECA, DE,  Bellevue 2x, IMG 3x, DLS, MD, SJC (DC), LaSalle, OH, St. Joe's, PA, JC, LA, Buford, GA, Jenks, Union. Broken Arrow, Bixby, Salpointe  Catholic, AZ, Anchorage South, Ak, Venice, Fl, Hoover, Al, Dutch Fork, SC, Olive Branch, MS, Bryant, AR, Rockhurst, MO, Miramar, Fl, Dillard, Fl, BTW, Fl, Plant, Fl.  Off the top of my head.  But people think Texas avoids OOS.  We don't.  The coaches dont like to travel.  Many of these teams are State champs or runner ups.  If I add our Privates it's a lot more.  To include IL, TN and others

Edited by Devildog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Devildog said:

TX actually has a long history of OOS games.  We are a public State and I dont know of any other public State that has played these teams the last 17 years.  Bellevue 2x, STA, Cocoa 2x, East UT, Bingham UT, Shiloh Christian, ECA, LA, ECA, DE,  Bellevue 2x, IMG 3x, DLS, MD, SJC (DC), LaSalle, OH, St. Joe's, PA, JC, LA, Buford, GA, Jenks, Union. Broken Arrow, Bixby, Salpointe  Catholic, AZ, Anchorage South, Ak, Venice, Fl, Hoover, Al, Dutch Fork, SC, Olive Branch, MS, Bryant, AR, Rockhurst, MO, Miramar, Fl, Dillard, Fl, BTW, Fl, Plant, Fl.  Off the top of my head.  But people think Texas avoids OOS.  We don't.  The coaches dont like to travel.  Many of these teams are State champs or runner ups.  If I add our Privates it's a lot more.  To include IL, TN and others

Thanks for the info!

I'm impressed by Abilene's 2010 schedule, very ambitious. They had 3 OOS opponents that year. Went 2-1.

Cocoa (FL)

Plant (FL)

Franklinton (LA)

That same year, 7 Texas teams played against Florida teams:

St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) vs Dallas Skyline

Miami Central (FL) vs Dallas Madison

Miramar (FL) vs DeSoto

Cocoa (FL) vs Abilene

Plant (FL) vs Abilene

Glades Central (FL) vs Dallas Skyline

Glades Central (FL) vs Denison

Edited by WILKINSON

5 hours ago, WILKINSON said:

Was going through some archives trying to find TX teams that have faced quality OOS competition before and stumbled upon Euless Trinity's pinnacle.

Euless Trinity went almost an entire decade (2008-2017) facing out-of-state opponents in Pre-District. The year where they went one season without facing a non Texan team was in 2011. 

Their most remarkable opponents were:

De La Salle (CA)

Bellevue (WA)

Bingham (UT)

John Curtis (LA)

Yep they went 3-1 with those games.  

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

TX guys, Whose your Top 5 entering 2022? Thx. 

@pied @WILKINSON @Devildog@Texasball @txjesse @SeaShells21This is 6A only.
Westlake

north shore 

Guyer 

SLC 

Katy 

(Desoto, Duncanville, ridge point, Allen and lake travis are in my next 5)

5A SOC might have the personnel this year  to crack the top 5 regardless of class. 

Edited by Horsefly
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, WILKINSON said:

Was going through some archives trying to find TX teams that have faced quality OOS competition before and stumbled upon Euless Trinity's pinnacle.

Euless Trinity went almost an entire decade (2008-2017) facing out-of-state opponents in Pre-District. The year where they went one season without facing a non Texan team was in 2011. 

Their most remarkable opponents were:

De La Salle (CA)

Bellevue (WA)

Bingham (UT)

John Curtis (LA)

Union and Jenks both had really good teams

On 2/25/2022 at 12:03 AM, Texasball said:

SLC beat JSERRA Trinity league 7-0 at JS home field tonight

they also beat team from Arizona 14-3 prior to that

They play Orange Lutheran tomorrow 

Orange Lutheran beat SLC 2-0 

SLC is 3-1 with one game remaining vs Cypress CA  - 

apparently according to the broadcaster for SLC they basically have two teams playing.

The only game Orange Lutheran played in this event was against SLC 

SLC played 2 games on Thursday and 2 more on Friday.  I believe they only play 1 game today.  5 games in 3 days 

55 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Union and Jenks both had really good teams

I agree. Broken Arrow wasn’t too shabby either. 
Southlake Carroll, DeSoto, Euless Trinity always challenged themselves playing the top Oklahoma schools. Nowadays, usually only the Mansfield schools schedule those OK teams. 

On 2/22/2022 at 8:39 PM, WILKINSON said:

A27DFB5C-47AE-4769-B257-C57E20A7930D_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.4d602d986ebf86cedf239920d8ac8315.jpeg

Since this is a national forum, and the world doesn't revolve around Texas, I thought I would create this graphic to make it easier for those unfamiliar with the Texas teams and which metro area they're from.

For Houston and DFW, I only included the 12 most formidable teams that I thought people would be familiar with or teams that have had recent success in their respective region, I might've left some teams out. Texas is a large state with many teams so it's easy to get confused with them and forget some.

DFW has a lot more brand names that are known nationally, but Houston has a lot of up-and-comers and would even argue that they have a deeper field of talented teams, Dallas is more top-heavy. 

There is still teams that could make this list.  Arlington Martin should probably be on the DFW list.

A27DFB5C-47AE-4769-B257-C57E20A7930D_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.4d602d986ebf86cedf239920d8ac8315.jpeg

Since this is a national forum, and the world doesn't revolve around Texas, I thought I would create this graphic to make it easier for those unfamiliar with the Texas teams and which metro area they're from.

For Houston and DFW, I only included the 12 most formidable teams that I thought people would be familiar with or teams that have had recent success in their respective region, I might've left some teams out. Texas is a large state with many teams so it's easy to get confused with them and forget some.

DFW has a lot more brand names that are known nationally, but Houston has a lot of up-and-comers and would even argue that they have a deeper field of talented teams, Dallas is more top-heavy. 

There is still teams that could make this list.  Arlington Martin should probably be on the DFW list.

5 minutes ago, Texasball said:

They’re one of the ones that missed the cut. IMO, the 12 teams listed for DFW have had far more success than Martin in the playoffs. Similar to Westfield in that they don’t finish off strong. 

7 minutes ago, WILKINSON said:

They’re one of the ones that missed the cut. IMO, the 12 teams listed for DFW have had far more success than Martin in the playoffs. Similar to Westfield in that they don’t finish off strong. 

That’s exactly who they’re performance is like: Westfield.  I’d like to see the two play in predistrict 

8 minutes ago, WILKINSON said:

My point is there are other schools capable being on this list and capable of being good

Martin, Bowie, Mansfield ISD will eventually have solid team.  Summit took 6A Oklahoma Champion Jenks to OT.   I keep waiting for Mansfield High. What about Flower Mound Marcus or other LISD schools.  Prosper has good program I see them staying competitive.

SOC - time will tell - Did winning state give them the edge they needed to keep players from not transferring?  Something they struggled with in the past!  They probably belong on the list now for this year.

Frisco ISD best - can be pretty darn good too.

14 minutes ago, Texasball said:

My point is there are other schools capable being on this list and capable of being good

Martin, Bowie, Mansfield ISD will eventually have solid team.  Summit took 6A Oklahoma Champion Jenks to OT.   I keep waiting for Mansfield High. What about Flower Mound Marcus or other LISD schools.  Prosper has good program I see them staying competitive.

SOC - time will tell - Did winning state give them the edge they needed to keep players from not transferring?  Something they struggled with in the past!  They probably belong on the list now for this year.

Frisco ISD best - can be pretty darn good too.

I’m not arguing that there’s not more than 12 good teams in DFW. I reside in this metroplex. I’m familiar with the teams in my backyard. I stay in the Argyle/Flower Mound area so this is my neck of the woods. 

I was just making it easier for non Texans to know where the most preeminent teams are from. It’s easy to get lost with the amount of talented teams there is in this state. 

One team that I thought has always had potential is South Grand Prairie. Remember who Duncanville was before Samples? Yeah, that’s basically South Grand Prairie. They have talent, just need someone to steer them in the right direction. But then again, that’s a recurring theme with a lot of programs.