Liberty 11 at #5 BG 56 Final (aka The Reason BG Does NOT Deserve a MNC this season)

• GardenStateBaller changed the title to NIAA 5A Chip: Liberty 0 at #5 BG 0 Q1
  • GardenStateBaller changed the title to NIAA 5A Chip: Liberty 3 at #5 BG 7 Q1
  • GardenStateBaller changed the title to NIAA 5A Chip: Liberty 3 at #5 BG 14 Q1
  • GardenStateBaller changed the title to NIAA 5A Chip: Liberty 3 at #5 BG 21 Q1
  • GardenStateBaller changed the title to NIAA 5A Chip: Liberty 3 at #5 BG 27 Q3
  • GardenStateBaller changed the title to NIAA 5A Chip: Liberty 11 at #5 BG 27 Q3
  • GardenStateBaller changed the title to NIAA 5A Chip: Liberty 11 at #5 BG 33 Q3
  • GardenStateBaller changed the title to NIAA 5A Chip: Liberty 11 at #5 BG 49 Q4
  • GardenStateBaller changed the title to NIAA 5A Chip: Liberty 11 at #5 BG 56 Final
On 11/21/2023 at 6:09 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Kickoff at 10:30pm EST

BG already beat the Patriots 49-6 during the regular season. 

BG best win this season is vs #17 (Comp Poll) Cen10. 

But, it was a dominating 4 touchdown win. Also, beat another top 25 team (Corner Canyon) by 3 TDs, as well as one more top 25ish team in Miami Central. Adding to that, two routs of one more top rated team in Liberty (top 125ish). Impressive season!

It’s my understanding that there will not be any postseason bowl games this year? No Geico, right?

On 11/22/2023 at 9:33 PM, Omaha Vol said:

But, it was a dominating 4 touchdown win. Also, beat another top 25 team (Corner Canyon) by 3 TDs, as well as one more top 25ish team in Miami Central. Adding to that, two routs of one more top rated team in Liberty (top 125ish). Impressive season!

It’s my understanding that there will not be any postseason bowl games this year? No Geico, right?

Beating Utah's #1 public team is nothing the throw your chest out about. Barely beating a 4-loss public MC in Vegas is a negative. BGs best win is vs public #10 Cen10 (our poll). They have no elite wins vs a Power Private like IMG, C-M, SJP, SJB or MD, which is a prerequisite in our opinion. And they had the oppty for such. In the end no team will EVER "back-in" to a MNC in our poll. It must be earned.  

Best win and SOS for current undefeated teams (per @misterfootball Top 50 Composite Rankings and CP): 

IMG- #11 SJP (45.5)

DS- #12 DV (43.0) *

C-M- #14 AHP (24.9) 

BG- #17 Cen10 (45.1) Beating up on public programs is NOT the formula for MNC success.

NS- #32 Summer Creek (38.5) *

@jeffthegaptoothedmod @christhebanker @kimpossible @thepiedpiper @codbeardaddictwife @ECArejectson @andythehistorian 

* Not eligible for MNC due to no elite OOS wins. 

This all seems very agenda driven, we all get the you are pushing IMG despite a short schedule.  No other poll has IMG rated above 4.  BG is now 5 in Massey, but for most of the season was universally ranked in to 3 but for your poll.

IMG’s best win, the one you point to, is against SJP—-and they barely won.  SJP is ranked out side the top 25 by both Cal-Preps and Massey.  

Same with SFA—-barely won.

BG posted double digit wins against Corner Canyon, universally ranked in top 25, #5 in Cal-Preps; Corona Centennial, a team ranked 18th in composite and as high as #4 by Cal-preps—-again by double digits; MC was close but at game time ranked in top 10 composite—-#6 by MaxPreps at the time of the games.  MC struggled in spots, but are still in the Florida championship picture.

Edited by Scott Coffee

33 minutes ago, Scott Coffee said:

This all seems very agenda driven, we all get the you are pushing IMG despite a short schedule.  No other poll has IMG rated above 4.  BG is now 5 in Massey, but for most of the season was universally ranked in to 3 but for your poll.

IMG’s best win, the one you point to, is against SJP—-and they barely won.  SJP is ranked out side the top 25 by both Cal-Preps and Massey.  

Same with SFA—-barely won.

BG posted double digit wins against Corner Canyon, universally ranked in top 25, #5 in Cal-Preps; Corona Centennial, a team ranked 18th in composite and as high as #4 by Cal-preps—-again by double digits; MC was close but at game time ranked in top 10 composite—-#6 by MaxPreps at the time of the games.  MC struggled in spots, but are still in the Florida championship picture.

Every poll is opinion-based. How do you feel about Mater Dei being #1 today in two polls? 

To finish #1 IN OUR POLL, three things need to happen:

1. Undefeated teams are preferred

2. You must have at least one win vs an elite OOS team

3. You must have a strong SOS

Both teams are undefeated. However, IN OUR OPINION IMGs best win is better than BGs (SJP vs Cen10). Plus, IMGs SOS is slightly higher than BGs.

The fact that all of BGs top wins are vs public programs also hurts the Gaels cause. If BG scheduled and beat MD/SJB/IMG, C-M, etc. this season, they'd be our clear #1. 

We're using the exact same criteria that enabled MC to win their MNC last season. 

I don’t think MD deserves the #1 ranking due to SJB lose, think the same as to SJB by virture of lose in Hawaii to a now unrated team and the struggle against Centennial Corona.  

That leaves the argument down to BG, C-M, IMG, Desoto and North Shore—which I rank in the order.  We will have to see how the FL and TX championships play out for most of those teams, but it seems like the books are closed on BG and IMG for the season.

While BG didn’t play IMG, SJB or MD, I would look to the common opponent of BG, MD and SJB— Corona Centennial—- as best guide to relative strength. BG won going away, while SJB came down to last play and MD won by 14. I also think the Corner Canyon win might be under valued—-CC won their other games by an almost 4 to 1 point differential average, albeit weaker teams.

Edited by Scott Coffee
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Scott Coffee said:

I don’t think MD deserves the #1 ranking due to SJB lose, think the same as to SJB by virture of lose in Hawaii to a now unrated team and the struggle against Centennial Corona.  

That leaves the argument down to BG, C-M, IMG, Desoto and North Shore—which I rank in the order.  We will have to see how the FL and TX championships play out for most of those teams, but it seems like the books are closed on BG and IMG for the season.

While BG didn’t play IMG, SJB or MD, I would look to common opponents Corona Central as best guide to relative strength—-and BG won going away. I also think the Corner Canyon win might be under valued—-CC won their other games by an almost 4 to 1 point differential average, albeit weaker teams.

I respect your opinion.

In our poll DS and NS aren't qualified due to their lack of an elite, OOS win. In our opinion a team can't earn a MNC with all intrastate wins. Remember, the N in MNC stands for "National" as in national schedule. 

#4 C-M is ranked higher than #5 BG in our poll because C-M beat #15 MC on the road, while BG struggled to beat MC in Vegas. 

If you go back the last 10 seasons every consensus MNC has a win vs an elite, OOS private. That should be the norm going forward in our opinion. 

• GardenStateBaller changed the title to Liberty 11 at #5 BG 56 Final (aka The Reason BG Does NOT Deserve a MNC this season)
12 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I respect your opinion.

In our poll DS and NS aren't qualified due to their lack of an elite, OOS win. In our opinion a team can't earn a MNC with all intrastate wins. Remember, the N in MNC stands for "National" as in national schedule. 

#4 C-M is ranked higher than #5 BG in our poll because C-M beat #15 MC on the road, while BG struggled to beat MC in Vegas. 

If you go back the last 10 seasons every consensus MNC has a win vs an elite, OOS private. That should be the norm going forward in our opinion. 

That's the issue a lot of people have with your poll. SOS is very important, but it is NOT the tell all for every team.