Texas News & Info

DeSoto to open season on national TV with game at Nike Headquarters

DeSoto will play St. Augustine from New Orleans in the Nike Kickoff Classic.

DeSoto will start its football season by playing on national television. And by traveling to Nike World Headquarters in Oregon.

It was announced Thursday that DeSoto will play St. Augustine from New Orleans in the Nike Kickoff Classic at 6 p.m. Aug. 26 in Beaverton, Ore. The NFL is partnering with Nike to put on the event, and it will be televised on the NFL Network.

“We’re a Nike school. It was a chance for our kids to go play another high-powered team across the country,” DeSoto coach Claude Mathis. “It’s going to be a national game. We’re fired up about it. I think it gives our kids an opportunity to be seen across the country. More importantly, it lets people know about DeSoto.”

Coming off an 11-3 season and appearance in the Class 6A Division I Region II final, DeSoto returns six players who are ranked among the top 100 recruits in the Dallas area. That group is led by four-star wide receiver Johntay Cook II and four-star running back Tre Wisner, who are both committed to Texas.

St. Augustine was 4-6 last season, but it has a lot of talent. Four-star recruit Tyree Adams is rated the 20th-best offensive tackle in the nation by 247Sports, and three-star defensive lineman Kyran Bourda is ranked as the 21st-best player in Louisiana in the Class of 2023.

“St. Augustine is really, really good. They’ve had some powerful players come through that place in past history and still have probably about five or six DIs on that football team, FBS guys, if not more,” Mathis said.

DeSoto plays in arguably the toughest district in the state, and it will challenge itself by playing one of the toughest nondistrict schedules in the state.

In Week 2, DeSoto is playing St. Frances Academy from Baltimore — ranked No. 3 in the nation by MaxPreps — on Sept. 3 at Clark Stadium in Fort Worth. That will be followed by a Week 3 home game against defending Class 5A Division II state champion South Oak Cliff.

source:griddle dmn

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 2:48 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Not really. We all know that Dallas and Houston are the meccas of your state's most noteable teams. 

Then how come Austin Westlake has won 3 state titles in-a-row?  Winning both divisions in 6A which includes wins over the best from Houston and DFW????  Fact is they been beating the teams like you say "That Challenges Themselves" OOS!  

Not to mention what Lake Travis has done over the last 20 years.

Again the only thing in HS football that has changed since short time ago when DLS was winning California titles is we now have handful of super recruited up private programs.

MD, SJB, SFA, STA, IMG, BG --- other private schools are doing the same as these dudes without the success of landing the qty & sometimes the quality of players.  You are guilty of running around bragging how these teams challenge themselves...I just laugh - If these teams wanted to challenge themselves, they would all be playing one another!

I only included BG based on the past.  They have not been playing at the level of the others lately.  we see what happens moving forward.

53 minutes ago, pied said:

Question for you.  Is it more important to have a program that attracts the best talent from a region to make the team as great as possible or have a program that brings many members of the community together?

Can you please find and post recordings of the pre-season or week of game pep rallys(rallies?) for SJB/SFA/Orlando Jones?  That would be interesting to contrast.

Thanks in advance!

TX by far is the best state for pomp and circumstance. It's admirable that your programs' rosters, bands, and flag teams are so large, and that you give so many students the oppty to "participate" in the Friday Night Lights experience. Some of us just care more about results on the field and national rankings. I appreciate both perspectives. 

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

Then how come Austin Westlake has won 3 state titles in-a-row?  Winning both divisions in 6A which includes wins over the best from Houston and DFW????  Fact is they been beating the teams like you say "That Challenges Themselves" OOS!  

Not to mention what Lake Travis has done over the last 20 years.

Again the only thing in HS football that has changed since short time ago when DLS was winning California titles is we now have handful of super recruited up private programs.

MD, SJB, SFA, STA, IMG, BG --- other private schools are doing the same as these dudes without the success of landing the qty & sometimes the quality of players.  You are guilty of running around bragging how these teams challenge themselves...I just laugh - If these teams wanted to challenge themselves, they would all be playing one another!

I only included BG based on the past.  They have not been playing at the level of the others lately.  we see what happens moving forward.

We both agree that MD and SJB should be playing those other elites annually. 

34 minutes ago, pied said:

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you feel it is more important to develop a program to attract talent from a region opposed to bringing the school's community together, correct?

Also, did I miss any videos from SJB/SFA/Orlando Jones?

I appreciate both perspectives. To each their own. I dig pep rallys of all sizes. Large public ones or small private ones. Whatever satisfies each. One is not better than the other. 

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

TX by far is the best state for pomp and circumstance. It's admirable that your programs' rosters, bands, and flag teams are so large, and that you give so many students the oppty to "participate" in the Friday Night Lights experience. Some of us just care more about results on the field and national rankings. I appreciate both 

You just like fake vomit 🤮 recruited to the max HS football teams.  

non of these teams impress me.  They should be good!  they have stacked the team.  It’s that easy - it’s all fake!!!

17 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Can't wait to hang with you on 9/3!!

We are the complete opposite but ok we can hang out

Me - Looks and acts like Texan 

You - Looks and acts like Northeast Yankee W/ Green and white NY Jets tennis shoes 🙂 

Me - Loves HS Football

You - Loves private recruited up fake school boy football that pretends they are doing something special.

You might consider getting me sideline pass for this one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

We are the complete opposite but ok we can hang out

Me - Looks and acts like Texan 

You - Looks and acts like Northeast Yankee W/ Green and white NY Jets tennis shoes 🙂 

Me - Loves HS Football

You - Loves private recruited up fake school boy football that pretends they are doing something special.

You might consider getting me sideline pass for this one.

Gonna be fun! Yes, HSFB brings the best of both worlds together. Can I please hold your gun again? I promise not to touch the trigger 😉 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Gonna be fun! Yes, HSFB brings the best of both worlds together. Can I please hold your gun again? I promise not to touch the trigger 😉 

No gun for you this time!  

You need to make time for Dinner.  Downtown Ft Worth -just off I-30 called “The Wood Shed” on Friday night!  Let me know if you are in.  

38 minutes ago, pied said:

About a half mile from where I'm at right now.  Great place, but may be a drive if you're staying in HP/North Dallas on a Friday night.

I took him to HP/Coppell game last time he was here.  Not sure why he would stay in North Dallas/HP area when his games are being playing in Ft Worth!