Top 5 biggest upset OOS wins so far (based on computer rankings)

13 minutes ago, Texasball said:

The talent has been there…It’s just being sculpted now.  I doubt you would understand the dynamics of community like DV.  

The 3, 4 and 5 stars weren't there or the previous coach would've won.  Samples is a pretty basic coach with superior talent than 99.9 percent of Texas teams.  Show me on rivals where these talented Duncanville players were at. 

Edited by Steeler01

34 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

Then what does that make Gary Joseph? And their former coach Johnston?

Katy always has one of the best offensive and defensive lines. Filled with some 3 and 4 star players. 

They have never had a roster stacked with 3,4, and 5 star players. Katy plays an unprecedented style of defense, and teaches a level of discipline that outperforms talent every single season. 

See above

We see it down here all the time. They have reached state 16 times. 9 time state champion, 3 time national champion. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Talent will only get you so far. Ask Manvel 😒

Manvel has never had good lines. You can have all the 4 and 5 star guys on the outsides,  but without the uglies upfront, it's game over(See Colorado- Oregon).

Duncanville on the other hand,  has had the best lineman(3, 4 and 5 star guys) and some of the best athletes as well. No team in Dallas has been more talented overall than them. 

Edited by Steeler01
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

They are ranked by people who either have no idea about their setup, or know and don’t care. But that doesn’t make it any more valid or correct 

It does indeed. They are a club team and not a high school team with any scholastic connection to any state affiliated entity.

34 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

It does indeed. They are a club team and not a high school team with any scholastic connection to any state affiliated entity.

Yes I know that, but the people ranking them don’t care. Truthfully I don’t know why people rank them other than ignorance of their operation. 

35 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

It’s the same for a team here based in Clearwater,FL. 

Clearwater Academy International. They are an independent team that does not compete in a playoff, and does not operate under the state association. The majority of all their players are from Canada and Europe. 

The coach is a great guy and does wonders getting his kids to college, but they are not a “Florida High School football team” they just operate out of Florida. They board international players with the intent to play American football. But they are not a Florida team. 

That’s why I don’t rank them or IMG in a Florida state ranking. 

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

It’s the same for a team here based in Clearwater,FL. 

Clearwater Academy International. They are an independent team that does not compete in a playoff, and does not operate under the state association. The majority of all their players are from Canada and Europe. 

The coach is a great guy and does wonders getting his kids to college, but they are not a “Florida High School football team” they just operate out of Florida. They board international players with the intent to play American football. But they are not a Florida team. 

That’s why I don’t rank them or IMG in a Florida state ranking. 

IMG is a member in good standing with the FHSAA. 

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

Yes I know that, but the people ranking them don’t care. Truthfully I don’t know why people rank them other than ignorance of their operation. 

Public MC beat them last season in Bradenton. This season Power Publics like Ben Davis IN, Glenville OH and in-state Bartram Trail and Pine Forest are playing the Ascenders. Kudos to them for seeing why doing such is an oppty of a lifetime. 

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Public MC beat them last season in Bradenton. This season Power Publics like Ben Davis IN, Glenville OH and in-state Bartram Trail and Pine Forest are playing the Ascenders. Kudos to them for seeing why doing such is an oppty of a lifetime. 

Comparatively speaking, a state championship is more satisfying. I think most kids aspire towards that goal than to play a top team from out of state.

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

IMG would rather win a MNC! And they're extremely close to doing so at this point! 

I can understand that, being a club team. They are minute in number though. The overwhelming majority of the kids are playing for that elusive state title. 

I guess when you have no connection to achieve that goal..........

4 hours ago, pied said:

I'd agree for many states, but also think a big OOS game can be very special and cool for the student athletes and their supporters as well.

Also, not certain you can't have and enjoy both.

Again I agree.....to a certain extent, and that is in line with my previous assessment. Those are few in number. In Georgia, the goal is to play game 15 in the Benz in December..............by an overwhelming majority.

The state of Oregon would fit into my category 100%. Some states are just hsfb hotbeds with natural talent and some not so much.

Much bigger stage at home in the Dome in December.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Again I agree.....to a certain extent, and that is in line with my previous assessment. Those are few in number. In Georgia, the goal is to play game 15 in the Benz in December..............by an overwhelming majority.

The state of Oregon would fit into my category 100%. Some states are just hsfb hotbeds with natural talent and some not so much.

Much bigger stage at home in the Dome in December.

It's extremely obvious that GA and TX are the minority in the above respect. And why it'll be extremely difficult for their top teams to ever win a MNC going fwd. 

13 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

It's extremely obvious that GA and TX are the minority in the above respect. And why it'll be extremely difficult for their top teams to ever win a MNC going fwd. 

That could be attributed to the fact that they are public schools with limited budgets. Our city schools stand a better chance as they do not have to share with a given amount of sister schools. Schools such as Colquitt, affords it by being the school for an entire county. On the other hand, schools such as those from Gwinnett and North Fulton have a higher income per citizen than the average metro Atlanta citizenry, enabling wider parameters due to deep pockets.

1 minute ago, Sportsnut said:

That could be attributed to the fact that they are public schools with limited budgets. Our city schools stand a better chance as they do not have to share with a given amount of sister schools. Schools such as Colquitt, affords it by being the school for an entire county. On the other hand, schools such as those from Gwinnett and North Fulton have a higher income per citizen than the average metro Atlanta citizenry, enabling wider parameters due to deep pockets.

True. Glad that Milton and Buford have stepped up of late to play some of the best teams in the game! 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:39 AM, pied said:

Here's my $0.02 based on what I've experienced and what I see.

I think it's a big mix, but by and large many of the players have been there for awhile.  The area around south Dallas has produced a lot of athletes and moving in that area into different school zones is easier than let's say Southlake.  The communities are close and living expenses fairly similar.

Of course it would be silly to say that the open enrollment hasn't benefitted various sports at different times, but it's also silly to overstate that imo.  Some neighboring districts have had issues (academically and athletically) recently and applying to, or moving to Duncanville isn't a difficult option (looking at Cedar Hill and DeSoto).

An old saying is that a coach's most important recruiting job is recruiting the students in the hallway not playing whatever sport you're talking about.  I think this has been huge for Duncanville as well.  Samples is a known guy.  You can bet that some of the younger guys in the program saw that and started playing.  Also reinvigorating the JV/middle school age players and their families.  

I think as you peek back the layers, you'll find these guys that may not have been playing football ~10 years ago.  Now there is a tradition and good athletes want to play for a winner, when in the past they may have skipped out on playing.  

Samples is a big name in coaching and a bigger name in this area.  People have and will move to be part of this program.

He's also not going to kick out a 4*/5* guy.  If one shows up with a clean PAPF, I'm certain he'll get playing time.  

I'd say that most of the high profile players either were kids that may not have chosen to play (or playa different sport) before Samples, then kids that moved in, in younger grades, then open enrollment type stuff.

Duncanville athletics has certainly had issues in the past, some very recent, but I think most (not all) is certainly above board whatever that means.

Why do you think Cedar Hill only has 1 kid ranked in their Jr and Sr classes? 

1 4 star OL. They used to have a plethora before Duncanville became Duncanville. 

Edited by Steeler01
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pied said:

A few things.  I do suspect players have moved and said that earlier:

Of course it would be silly to say that the open enrollment hasn't benefitted various sports at different times, but it's also silly to overstate that imo.  Some neighboring districts have had issues (academically and athletically) recently and applying to, or moving to Duncanville isn't a difficult option (looking at Cedar Hill and DeSoto).

An old saying is that a coach's most important recruiting job is recruiting the students in the hallway not playing whatever sport you're talking about.  I think this has been huge for Duncanville as well.  Samples is a known guy.  You can bet that some of the younger guys in the program saw that and started playing.  Also reinvigorating the JV/middle school age players and their families.  

I think as you peek back the layers, you'll find these guys that may not have been playing football ~10 years ago.  Now there is a tradition and good athletes want to play for a winner, when in the past they may have skipped out on playing.  

Samples is a big name in coaching and a bigger name in this area.  People have and will move to be part of this program.

They don't have to live in Duncanville to attend Duncanville.  So why would they need to move?

10 minutes ago, pied said:

Also - losing current Texas Tech HC in ~2017 would add to that as well.

Looking at Rivals, they had a good number of 3* type guys which is HUGH for succesful HS teams, but (at least according to Rivals haven't had a TON of 4* and above type talent.

This is what I see (could certainly be missing some)

image.png.d1877ed49fcb0734a445e5e6275cf143.png

https://n.rivals.com/search#?query=cedar hill&formValues={"sport":"Football","page_number":1,"page_size":50,"prospect_profiles.highschool_name":["Cedar Hill"],"sort":{"prospect_profiles.stars":{"order":"desc"}}}

2013 class

Screenshot_20230927_095458_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230927_095513_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Steeler01 said:

Why do you think Cedar Hill only has 1 kid ranked in their Jr and Sr classes? 

1 4 star OL. They used to have a plethora before Duncanville became Duncanville. 

Missed him. 

So their team has a 3 star CB and a 4 star OL. No wonder they suck

Screenshot_20230927_100256_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Steeler01

31 minutes ago, pied said:

if they don't move, they have to sit a year.  (Matt Stepp is a writer for Dave Campbell)

[QUOTE=Matt.Stepp;n756033]A kid can transfer to Duncanville or SOC and play right away if he's established residency in those attendance zones and has a clean PAPF...if they transfer to those schools and dont live in the attendance zone they have to sit for a year automatically[/QUOTE]

That's if they transfer.  Start your Frosh year there,  you don't sit. Also,  how many kids around the country fake their address? 

Edited by Steeler01
  • Like 2