New England News

Figured I'd start this new thread here after we moved over from the other board.

To kick things off, figured I'd do a little overview of where things stand now.

— Right now, the No. 1 team is Catholic Memorial. I count at least seven starters on offense with FBS or FCS offers. Another few guys on defense, too. The controversy with the Knights is they are competing in Div. 2. People want them up in D1. We won't get that at least for a few years though.

— Springfield Central is the D1 favorite again. They have a bunch of FBS and FCS kids too. And I think William Watson is underrated nationally. A Nebraska commit.

— Xaverian is close to pulling off a pretty major OOS foe. It isn't final yet though so I'll keep it under wraps. I have them as my No. 3 team right now.

— St. John's Prep is loaded at receiver but they have to go somewhere new at QB. We'll see how that goes but they're very good.

— Central Catholic is led by Notre Dame commit TE/WR/DE/OLB Preston Zinter. His brother is starting on the OL at Michigan.

Should be an interesting year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Catholic Memorial still has an open date on 9/9/22. PGL has already pitched SFA, Erasmus Hall NY and Canarsie NY. Unfortunately, they’re hell bent on finding a Mass team to play. I tried. 

That's interesting. I believe CM is playing two RI teams again. I'd love to see them play SFA. They'd probably lose, but it would be a good test for the kids. This will be a really good CM team. The D2 thing with them is becoming a real issue here.

1 minute ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

That's interesting. I believe CM is playing two RI teams again. I'd love to see them play SFA. They'd probably lose, but it would be a good test for the kids. This will be a really good CM team. The D2 thing with them is becoming a real issue here.

Coach D was keen early on, but as I made my recommendations he backed away big time. He's scared to death to schedule any OOS team that starts practice earlier than his tream.  

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

Coach D was keen early on, but as I made my recommendations he backed away big time. He's scared to death to schedule any OOS team that starts practice earlier than his tream.  

See I think it's beneficial because the kids look forward to those type games so much. I don't know. I was hoping Springfield Central playing IMG would inspire more teams to take on challenges like that. I thought Central benefited from that game.

22 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

See I think it's beneficial because the kids look forward to those type games so much. I don't know. I was hoping Springfield Central playing IMG would inspire more teams to take on challenges like that. I thought Central benefited from that game.

Agree wholeheartedly. I told him win or lose, his team would be better for it. I cited SC success last season after the IMG game. Also, I'm trying to put together a New England vs The USA tripleheader in 2023 at Springfield College. The best from MA, CT and RI vs top OOS teams. 

6 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Agree wholeheartedly. I told him win or lose, his team would be better for it. I cited SC success last season after the IMG game. Also, I'm trying to put together a New England vs The USA tripleheader in 2023 at Springfield College. The best from MA, CT and RI vs top OS teams. 

That would really be great. There aren't a ton of CT-Mass games even though they're bordering states. A lot of that has to do with the playoff systems don't necessarily encourage those games.

1 hour ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

That would really be great. There aren't a ton of CT-Mass games even though they're bordering states. A lot of that has to do with the playoff systems don't necessarily encourage those games.

I’d have to secure the teams with the most courage. Like SC and St Thomas More CT, who’ll play #anyoneanywhere. 

On 4/2/2022 at 10:17 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

I’d have to secure the teams with the most courage. Like SC and St Thomas More CT, who’ll play #anyoneanywhere. 

What's the deal with More?  Has 5th year kids, unlike even IMG, correct?

21 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

I will add that I think CM is worthy of any national rankings that come its way. The Knights have about a dozen D1 players, and they're experienced.

If they’re going to be as good as they were last year they will definitely be a top 100 team this year, and that’s no nonsense! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

I will add that I think CM is worthy of any national rankings that come its way. The Knights have about a dozen D1 players, and they're experienced.

We'll never know as they refuse to leave their little fiefdom inside of MA. They continually dodge opptys to test themselves vs relevant OOS competition. It's a sad reality. 

4 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

We'll never know as they refuse to leave their little fiefdom inside of MA. They continually dodge opptys to test themselves vs relevant OOS competition. It's a sad reality. 

I’d like to see them play a big OOS opponent. I’d also love to see them play Springfield Central, but that won’t happen. Even lacking those things, that doesn’t deny them their talent and pedigree.

• 2 weeks later...

Everett native Lewis Cine from Georgia goes at the end of the first round. His teammate from that loaded 2017 Everett team, Coastal Carolina's Isaiah Likely, will probably go tonight. That squad was really underrated nationally. Could have played with a lot of the teams that were top 100 caliber.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:27 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

Apparently, Xaverian was in discussions with St. John Bosco over the offseason. Nothing materialized, but interesting nonetheless.

Props for X to try and schedule them, but that would’ve been a bloodbath. 

Edited by Omaha Vol