Illinois thread

7 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

What are some of the top OOS wins for Illinois in recent memory. I’m not saying there aren’t any. I just can’t remember off the top of the dome 

Honestly, I don't know. I'd have to look into it. But I'll take a gander this weekend. I do know Rita beat Trinity KY last year, but Trinity was down. Obviously there's the ESL vs CBC game last year. Neuqua Valley beat St. Mary's of MO last year.

6 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Yeah they are. Top team in the country, top team from MO, and Grayson GA killers 

3 of the top 4 OOS games for the state are ESL

Yeah. They're in a unique position. They destroy their conference foes for the most part and are a 5 hour drive from in state competition if those schools are willing to play them. May as well travel the country.

The school I think will be #1 in the state (but certainly Chicagoland) when pundits start ranking is Mt. Carmel out of Chicago. Mt. Carmel is 2nd in overall state championships with 13 with their last one in '19. Famous past players include Donovan McNabb and Simeon Rice.

The Caravan finished '21 @ 8-4 with a trip to the 7A quarter finals. Their losses were to Loyola, Bro. Rice (2x), and were shocked by St. Ignatius.  They return a boatload of starters on offense and defense lead by their 4* Rivals #117 recruit (5th in state) in the class of '24 RB Darrion Dupree. They also return their QB as well as most of the OL and WR corps. The OL has some massive guys.

http://youtu.be/IBAkR2Ao2LQ

Edited by Bones

18 hours ago, Bones said:

The school I think will be #1 in the state (but certainly Chicagoland) when pundits start ranking is Mt. Carmel out of Chicago. 

The Caravan finished '21 @ 8-4 with a trip to the 7A quarter finals. Their losses were to Loyola, Bro. Rice (2x), and were shocked by St. Ignatius.  They return a boatload of starters on offense and defense lead by their 4* Rivals #117 recruit (5th in state) in the class of '24 RB Darrion Dupree. They also return their QB as well as most of the OL and WR corps. The OL has some massive guys.

https://youtu.be/IBAkR2Ao2LQ

My buddy, André Collins, was a star RB for MC in the early 80s. Played football at Dayton. 

• Like 1

The #2 and #3 I think in the Chicago area will be a toss up in my opinion between Loyola and Lincoln Way East. We'll go with Loyola right now.

In '21 Loyola finished 12-1 losing to eventual champion, Lockport, in the 8A semifinals 35-21. Loyola has 3 total championships and 5 runner ups, all coming in the largest class at the time. Two of the championships and 4 runner ups have come in the past decade as Loyola has proven to be the most consistent program.

The 2022 edition returns their QB who I believe committed to Colgate. They also return two D1 6'5 220+ TEs (one being a PWO at Northestern where his father is the HC) and another WR which makes up the top 3/4 receiving targets. Only a few defensive starters return, but typically they're big and fundamentally sound in their front 7. Although not bad, you never find your ummmm typical DB types in their defensive backfield.

http://youtu.be/AW_ZZN_ZYhY

Lincoln Way East I believe will be #2 or 3 in the Chicago area when rankings come out. LWE is a rather young school, opening in 2001 and has never missed the playoffs. In their short existence they've won 3 championships in 8A and a 7A runner up, with 2 of the championships coming since '17. Last season they posted a 9-3 record losing to Naperville Central and Sandburg in addition to beating 8A champ Lockport in the regular season before bowing out to Loyola in the 8A quarters 3-0. 

The 2022 version of the Griffins will be very experienced as they were very Jr dominated last season and managed to be competitive with Loyola and Lockport. Honestly last year they weren't in the top half of LWE teams I've been watching for the last 20 years, but that's why they're impressive they don't tend to drop much even when the talent isn’t there. I don't have too much on their roster right now but will amend when more info becomes available. I do know they'll be replacing their QB however. They have an interesting week 2 game with 7A power Batavia.

http://youtu.be/ICTsy4eS8mU

2023 top players per the ranking sites

Miles McVay - OT - E. St. Louis - monster of a young man. Can basically pick where he's going and has a Bama offer.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13649079/61b7ac185ef6e90b34b386cd

Charles Jagusah - OT/DT - Rock Island Alleman - I haven't seen this young man play, but if the services have him battling it out with McVay for #1 I'll have to take their word for it that he's legit. Committed to Notre Dame

http://www.hudl.com/v/2GRKvr

Next team I don't know where to place, but I expect the only state wide poll to place anywhere from #1 to #5. The East St. Louis Flyers have won 9 state championships and 3 runner ups. They also have at least one MNC under their belt. In '21 the Flyers finished at 11-3 with losses to one of those Bosco schools, IMG, and to Cary-Grove in the 6A championship. You know about these guys.

The '22 edition will be lead by a massive OL featuring at least 3 P5 athletes including the aforementioned Miles McVay, Paris Patterson (Arkansas), and Brandon Henderson (Iowa State). EStL also has a number of prospects in the skills positions and defense and return Jr QB Robert "Pops" Battle and soph RB Taryan Martin.

https://youtu.be/JLvv3Ii8U2g

4 hours ago, Bones said:

Next team I don't know where to place, but I expect the only state wide poll to place anywhere from #1 to #5. The East St. Louis Flyers have won 9 state championships and 3 runner ups. They also have at least one MNC under their belt. In '21 the Flyers finished at 11-3 with losses to one of those Bosco schools, IMG, and to Cary-Grove in the 6A championship. You know about these guys.

The '22 edition will be lead by a massive OL featuring at least 3 P5 athletes including the aforementioned Miles McVay, Paris Patterson (Arkansas), and Brandon Henderson (Iowa State). EStL also has a number of prospects in the skills positions and defense and return Jr QB Robert "Pops" Battle and soph RB Taryan Martin.

https://youtu.be/JLvv3Ii8U2g

The early test vs SFA in Canton on 8/27 will tell us all we need to know about the '22 Flyers. 

46 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The early test vs SFA in Canton on 8/27 will tell us all we need to know about the '22 Flyers. 

I don’t know what games like SFA and IMG show. When I looked at the Bosco footage last year I felt like EStL had a chance. Not so sure with SFA. Weeks 2, 3 & 9 I like better. Also their conference has some games with some teams up here so hopefully I'll be able to make sense of them before the playoffs.

Edited by Bones

3 hours ago, Bones said:

I don’t know what games like SFA and IMG show. When I looked at the Bosco footage last year I felt like EStL had a chance. Not so sure with SFA. Weeks 2, 3 & 9 I like better. Also their conference has some games with some teams up here so hopefully I'll be able to make sense of them before the playoffs.

Flo is also streaming ESLs HSFB doubleheader event over Labor Day weekend. 

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Flo is also streaming ESLs HSFB doubleheader event over Labor Day weekend. 

It's a good event. I went a few years back and they had 4 games, all MO vs IL headlined by HF vs Lutheran North and ESL vs Trinity.

Next up. I'm not sure where talking heads will put them, but if we're talking state ranked players the Kenwood out of Chicago is extremely high up on the list. The Broncos have 4 of the top 35 players in the 2023 class per Rivals and at least one of the top 15 so far in 2024. Kenwood finished last season 8-2 and a disappointing 1st round loss in the 6A playoffs. Chicago Public Schools tend to struggle in the state tournament, but Kenwood intends on being one of the handful of CPS teams that are competitive outside of other CPS opponents along with Phillips and Simeon.

Khalil Tate (Iowa), K'Vion Thunderbird (undecided), Logan Lester & Kiwaun Davis (W Michigan) are the '23 database guys and Marquis Lightfoot is the 4* '24 prospect.

Sorry couldn't find a Kenwood game.

OOS games of interest:

Crete (Monee)

Sep. 3 -- Merrillville (Andrean), IN

East St. Louis (Sr.)

Aug. 27 -- Baltimore (St. Francis Academy), MD

Sep. 3 -- St. Louis (Christian Brothers), MO

Sep. 10 -- Fairburn (Creekside), GA

Oct. 21 -- St. Louis (De Smet Jesuit), MO

Edwardsville (H.S.)

Aug. 26 -- Jackson, MO

Sep. 10 -- St. Louis (Soldan), MO