Edwardsville (H.S.)

Aug. 26 -- Jackson, MO

Sep. 10 -- St. Louis (Soldan), MO

Oct. 21 -- St. Louis (Christian Brothers), MO

Naperville (Neuqua Valley)

Sep. 9 -- St. Louis (St. Mary's), MO

Wilmette (Loyola Academy)

Aug. 28 -- Cincinatti (St. Xavier), OH

ESL flexing its muscles once again in this respect. 

• Like 2

With this being the last week before game week we'll look at some of the top games across the state.

Rochester @ Sacred Heart Griffin - the final installment of "The Leonard Bowl" pits two of the top programs from Central Illinois, coached by a father (SHG) and son (RHS). With the father retiring at the end of the season, unless the two meet in the playoffs this will be the last time they face off. Rochester has won 8 championships since 2010 with 7 being in 4A and 1 (2019) in 5A. SHG has won 2 championships and 2 runner-ups in the same span all in 5A.

St. Rita @ Mt. Carmel - Biggest rivalry on the South Side when it comes to football. This is the 100th installment I believe. Not sure how long these two have been playing but it's been a long time. The rivalry took some time off as Rita was moved to a different division in the conference but was renewed last season as the MC Caravan upended the Chicago area preseason #1 16-9 in front of a packed house at Rita. Look for Rita to be motivated to return the favor as MC looks to be highly highly ranked if not #1 when rankings roll out. Rita was the 7A runner-up in '21 while MC made it to the quarter finals on the other side of the bracket.

Fenwick vs Oak Park-River Forest - two basketball schools located in the same town (Oak Park) renew a rivalry after a long layoff. Fenwick being the HS of past NBA star Corey Maggette while OPRF lays claim to Iman Shumpert most recently of the bum ass Brooklyn Nets 🤣. Fenwick is coming off of their 1st championship, in 5A while OPRF boasts 5 MNCs in their history. Fans are always rowdy when these schools play, regardless of the sport.

Glenbard North vs Kenwood in Chicago - Glenbard North is a consistently tough football program coming off of a 8A quarter finals appearance where they gave champion, Lockport, their closest game of the playoffs. GBN has no championships but has 4 runner ups in their history. In 2016 GBN and Greg Newsome (Browns) took a highly rated ESL to the brink in the 2nd rd of 7A playoffs. GBN is also where Justin Jackson (Lions) played HS ball. As previously noted Kenwood is home to 4 of the top 35 recruits in IL for the 2023 class and at least one of the top 15 for 2024 and thus is probably the 2nd "most talented" (although I hate that term) team in the state. They will be motivated to show they can play with suburban and private schools. Here's there chance.  

Glenbard West @ Marist - Glenbard West is coming off of a down year in which they demolished Grandville, MI, but lost two conference games which is unheard of. Always a title threat in 7A, the Hitters have found the sledding a little more difficult in 8A as they reside on the edge between the two classes. They still remain a tough out regardless of the bracket. Marist plays in the same conference with Loyola and Mt. Carmel (And Bro. Rice) so they're always battle tested. Last season they dropped a close game in the 8A semi finals to Maine South. Not sure what either returns but name recognition alone makes this a top week 1 game.

St. Frances vs East St. Louis - you guys know about this one. I'm interested in seeing who the flags get thrown on.

St. X @ Loyola - you guys also know this one. Expect the cooking to be home 🤣

Edited by Bones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 7:26 AM, Bones said:

OOS games of interest:

Crete (Monee)

Sep. 3 -- Merrillville (Andrean), IN

East St. Louis (Sr.)

Aug. 27 -- Baltimore (St. Francis Academy), MD

Sep. 3 -- St. Louis (Christian Brothers), MO

Sep. 10 -- Fairburn (Creekside), GA

Oct. 21 -- St. Louis (De Smet Jesuit), MO

Edwardsville (H.S.)

Aug. 26 -- Jackson, MO

Sep. 10 -- St. Louis (Soldan), MO

Oct. 21 -- St. Louis (Christian Brothers), MO

Naperville (Neuqua Valley)

Sep. 9 -- St. Louis (St. Mary's), MO

Wilmette (Loyola Academy)

Aug. 28 -- Cincinatti (St. Xavier), OH

SFA easy win

#LLLP1

#LLA4

Chicagoland top 30.  Click that lank to read the blurbs about each squad. Still awaiting 1 statewide poll and the Chicago Sun Times poll.

1. Lincoln Way East

2. Mt. Carmel

3. Loyola

4. Batavia

5. Maine South

6. Glenbard West

7. Warren

8. Neuqua Valley

9. Marist

10. Bolingbrook 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

St Frances Academy over ESL

I know that, just gotta jab at those guys. I mean they should beat the 6A (out of 8 classes) runner-up of a bad football state like a drum, no? 

Next year they can level up to the 6A champ, then the 7A runner-up etc 🤣

And finally the statewide

https://www.shawlocal.com/friday-night-drive/analysis/2022/08/23/friday-night-drives-power-rankings-2022-preseason/

1. East St. Louis

2. Mt. Carmel

3. Loyola

4. Maine South

5. Glenbard West

6. Lincoln Way East

7. Batavia

8. Warren

9. Kankakee

10. Neuqua Valley

11. Marist

12. Bolingbrook

13. Joliet Catholic

14. St. Rita

15. Naperville North

16. Lockport

17. Jacobs

18. St. Ignatius

19. Lemont

20. Hinsdale Central

21. Palatine

22. Prospect

23. Cary Grove

24. Willowbrook

25. Kenwood

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, now my take on the rankings. The St. Louis area rankings being 9 teams on the MO side of the river shows where the IL teams down there are presently. East Side is obliterating their conference foes. And their non-conference games are out of state making them hard to gauge against the rest of the top teams.

The state wide rankings are 24 Chicago area teams and EStL. In the best year for the rest of the state you could end up with at most 7 schools outside of Chicago in the top 25, but 3-4 is most probable.

The rankings are overwhelmingly 8A and 7A. The ones below are the favorites to win a championship in 4/5/6. You'll notice that they don't have to defeat any of the other top teams to win a championship or maintain a ranking. So when you see me question whether those teams are actually the best in the state, that is why. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bones said:

Okay, now my take on the rankings. The St. Louis area rankings being 9 teams on the MO side of the river shows where the IL teams down there are presently. East Side is obliterating their conference foes. And their non-conference games are out of state making them hard to gauge against the rest of the top teams.

The state wide rankings are 24 Chicago area teams and EStL. In the best year for the rest of the state you could end up with at most 7 schools outside of Chicago in the top 25, but 3-4 is most probable.

The rankings are overwhelmingly 8A and 7A. The ones below are the favorites to win a championship in 4/5/6. You'll notice that they don't have to defeat any of the other top teams to win a championship or maintain a ranking. So when you see me question whether those teams are actually the best in the state, that is why. 

Which of those teams other than ESL is most likely to schedule SFA in 2023? 

• Like 1

Saturday scores

Glenbard North 21 Kenwood 18. Kenwood is the 2nd "most talented" team in the state after ESL. They show flashes but are inconsistent. Glenbard N did what they always do, they trailed most of the game but stayed within striking distance. Then when Kenwood made a mistake they capitalized and scored a late TD. Lead the game for all of less than 3 mins, but secured the W. Kenwood's QB went down late in the 3rd and offense became stagnant.

Glenbard West 33 Marist 31 - West jumped out to a 21-0 lead within 5 minutes and was able to hold on for the win. More impressive is that they did it without their Swiss army knife best player. He's their best RB, best WR, starts at DB, and return man. Marist did a good job of coming back and they have some huge bodies out there that pass the eye test. But this is football not a SFA photo shoot.

Oak Park River Forest 35 Fenwick 7 - coming off of a 5A championship I think people expected more than to be blown out by a team that hovers near the middle of their conference (same conference as Glenbard W). Fenwick did lose a ton including 14 starters, but to me the difference is likely that OPRF had the type of bodies with their large enrollment and also demographics (think West side of Chicago with a wealthy suburb sprinkled in) that just doesn't exist with the public schools of 5A. That and there's Hatfield/McCoys thing there.

Simeon 41 Wheaton Warrenville South 23 - national FB fans who have followed for a while should be familiar with WWS, hoops fans should be familiar with Simeon. WWS at one point was one of if not the top program in the state (check 2010 rankings) and Simeon looked like the best Chicago Public School. Simeon isn't new to being credible on the gridiron like Kenwood is. After shaking the early season jitters the Wolverines steamrolled. WR Malik Elzy (top WR in the state for '23/Cincy recruit) was a load. Also had 2 guys on the D line that looked like former Simeon player Tez Wilson (look him up). They have an interesting game next week.

Batavia 43 Phillips 0 - Expected outcome by me, but oddly surprised others. Phillips for a few years was present in national discussions as they collected high end talent and won IL championships in 4A and 5A, which they then used to garner high rankings and play OOS games such as Pickerington Central on ESPN. Phillips has fallen some over the past two seasons after losing their coach. Batavia tends to have P5 type LBs (they have 2 this year) and just play solid fundamentally sound FB. For example in '19 they played ESL (#51 in this site's poll) in week 1 and lost 31-17, finished the season 9-3 and made it to the 7A quarter finals before losing by 14 to Nazareth. Batavia plays LWE next week.

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

ESL will be in our T25 this week. I was very impressed with them last night. 

I love ESL. They're my 2nd favorite team to watch and I always go to their games when they come up north, and have gone to their event once. They're fearless and play with aggression. I do my best to give unbiased analysis of the state of football in IL though. 

4 minutes ago, Bones said:

I love ESL. They're my 2nd favorite team to watch and I always go to their games when they come up north, and have gone to their event once. They're fearless and play with aggression. I do my best to give unbiased analysis of the state of football in IL though. 

Flo is streaming their doubleheader event next weekend. 

CBC vs ESL

IMG  vs Desmet Jesuit

• Like 1

Twas a great weekend of football in the state of IL. It went pretty much as expected except East Side and Loyola whom I expected to both be eviscerated considering the quality of opponents' reputation AND considering they have had scrimmages and jamborees and even a game so far, while the IL teams had none 😏

Top games for week 2:

Batavia @ Lincoln Way East 

Bro. Rice @ St. Rita

Immaculate Conception @ Joliet Catholic

Naperville North @ Glenbard North

Warren @ Maine South

Bolingbrook @ Simeon 

CBC (MO) @ East Side

5 hours ago, Bones said:

Twas a great weekend of football in the state of IL. It went pretty much as expected except East Side and Loyola whom I expected to both be eviscerated considering the quality of opponents' reputation AND considering they have had scrimmages and jamborees and even a game so far, while the IL teams had none 😏

Top games for week 2:

Batavia @ Lincoln Way East 

Bro. Rice @ St. Rita

Immaculate Conception @ Joliet Catholic

Naperville North @ Glenbard North

Warren @ Maine South

Bolingbrook @ Simeon 

CBC (MO) @ East Side

CBC plays at ESL in its doubleheader Classic event this weekend. 

New top 25 with some changes. I'll rank them myself after I see LWE/Batavia on Friday.

https://www.shawlocal.com/friday-night-drive/analysis/2022/08/29/friday-night-drives-power-rankings-how-did-week-1-shake-up-our-top-25/

1. Loyola

2. Mt. Carmel

3. East St. Louis

4. Glenbard West

5. Maine South

6. Lincoln Way East

7. Batavia

8. Warren

9. Neuqua Valley

10. Bolingbrook

11. Joliet Catholic

12. Marist