John Curtis still punking out

They win state and the best team they can get is the 198th ranked Florida team. I get Louisiana stinks at football but you gotta have some balls and play real teams. I wouldn’t want my son being led by a coward. I’m not saying JC has to schedule SFA, MD, SJB etc etc but why do they exclusively seek out the worst opponents they can find? 

16 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

They win state and the best team they can get is the 198th ranked Florida team. I get Louisiana stinks at football but you gotta have some balls and play real teams. I wouldn’t want my son being led by a coward. I’m not saying JC has to schedule SFA, MD, SJB etc etc but why do they exclusively seek out the worst opponents they can find? 

They're in the same scheduling "class" as Lakeland, Oakland, West Monroe and North Shore. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

They're in the same scheduling "class" as Lakeland, Oakland, West Monroe and North Shore. 

North shore became an unexpected TX powerhouse in 2018, they only had 2 seasons to schedule: 2020 (scheduled DLS but that was canceled due to covid) and 2022. And just like that they’ve lost their championship HC.  You have no perspective in timing. NS had no real time to jump through hoops in scheduling oos. 

Edited by Horsefly
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 11:04 AM, GardenStateBaller said:

Oakland did better this year taking a tough road game with Center Grove up in Indy. 
(Still mad they bitched out on Liberty,NV last year. Lol) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2023 at 4:42 PM, Omaha Vol said:

Oakland did better this year taking a tough road game with Center Grove up in Indy. 
(Still mad they bitched out on Liberty,NV last year. Lol) 

FWIW, i've heard oakland passed on playing lipscomb after that close game.

I also wish the east TN teams would travel more.  maryville and alcoa are capable of playing better teams but seem content just playing the best in their area and calling it good.  at least alcoa is playing ravenwood (decent 6A) and an OOS team (although they dont look very good).  alcoa is top 5 public teams regardless of classification, IMHO.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

FWIW, i've heard oakland passed on playing lipscomb after that close game.

I also wish the east TN teams would travel more.  maryville and alcoa are capable of playing better teams but seem content just playing the best in their area and calling it good.  at least alcoa is playing ravenwood (decent 6A) and an OOS team (although they dont look very good).  alcoa is top 5 public teams regardless of classification, IMHO.

Oakland backed out because they knew what Lipscomb was going to turn into. They didn’t want to get embarrassed. 

I went round and round with some of the old timer Maryville guys years ago on CoachT. They were so old fashioned about only playing local area teams and were flat out against playing anyone OOS. I couldn’t get those dense boneheads to realize that Maryville was the flagship team for Tennessee and should try to venture out and test their mettle. They just didn’t get it. 

Alcoa, on the other hand, was, at least, scheduling some of the top small school Kentucky teams back then. If I remember correctly, they played Corbin,KY back in those days. 

1 minute ago, Omaha Vol said:

Oakland backed out because they knew what Lipscomb was going to turn into. They didn’t want to get embarrassed. 

I went round and round with some of the old timer Maryville guys years ago on CoachT. They were so old fashioned about only playing local area teams and were flat out against playing anyone OOS. I couldn’t get those dense boneheads to realize that Maryville was the flagship team for Tennessee and should try to venture out and test their mettle. They just didn’t get it. 

Alcoa, on the other hand, was, at least, scheduling some of the top small school Kentucky teams back then. If I remember correctly, they played Corbin,KY back in those days. 

yeah, im on coachT also.  they (alcoa) very much get their identity in trying to beat maryville and now west, powell, etc.  out of area doesnt matter.  lots of area rivalries in east TN.  very passionate fanbase!

20 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

yeah, im on coachT also.  they (alcoa) very much get their identity in trying to beat maryville and now west, powell, etc.  out of area doesnt matter.  lots of area rivalries in east TN.  very passionate fanbase!

Yes, they made it quite clear that playing out of the area was not what they wanted. This was years ago, though, when the national scene was beginning to surge into what it is today. I used to post on CoachT quite a bit, but I was always more interested in the national scene. (I used to love competing in the Big Ones contest). 

Alcoa/Maryville is probably the best rivalry in East Tennessee, but the Tornadoes always seemed to step up more than Maryville when it came to scheduling tougher out-of-area teams. 

5 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Yes, they made it quite clear that playing out of the area was not what they wanted. This was years ago, though, when the national scene was beginning to surge into what it is today. I used to post on CoachT quite a bit, but I was always more interested in the national scene. (I used to love competing in the Big Ones contest). 

Alcoa/Maryville is probably the best rivalry in East Tennessee, but the Tornadoes always seemed to step up more than Maryville when it came to scheduling tougher out-of-area teams. 

I think it might be the best rivalry in all of TN!  

10 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

In 1968, Alcoa played Gainesville FL and went home with a 52-6 lacing 

DE2BE0E2-75DC-4770-A3DA-D6FE54CD29EC.png

8 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

In 1968, Alcoa played Gainesville FL and went home with a 52-6 lacing 

DE2BE0E2-75DC-4770-A3DA-D6FE54CD29EC.png

I can’t seem to find anything on Gainesville’s team in 1968. Alcoa finished 5-5 that year. Probably had no business playing an OOS bowl game that year. 

• 3 weeks later...

Look at these games. This is embarrassing. @GardenStateBaller you can’t help them out? I know it’s not a good state for football but you gotta start somewhere 

Ouachita Christian vs Harding Academy,AR

Homer vs Prescott,AR

University LAb vs Lawrence County,MS

Ruston vs Cabot,AR

St Charles Catholic vs Vidor,TX

John Curtis vs Santaluces ,FL

Ouachita parish vs Conway,AR

Haynesville vs Junction City,AR

Ouachita Christian vs Dallas Christian,TX

Byrd vs Pleasant Grove,TX

Holy Cross vs Holy Cross,TX

Shaw vs Kinkaid,TX

Catholic vs Picayune,MS

Benton vs Texas High

North Desoto vs Center,TX

Darbonne Woods vs Drew Central,AR

Haynesville vs Harmony Grove,Ar

St Edmund vs Nolan Catholic,TX

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 1:08 AM, Omaha Vol said:

I can’t seem to find anything on Gainesville’s team in 1968. Alcoa finished 5-5 that year. Probably had no business playing an OOS bowl game that year. 

The game was a regular season game. Played November 15th.

Crazy story. Gainesville tied Edgewatwr 20-20 in the middle of the year. Both teams finished 9-0-1 on the year, but Edgewater advanced to the playoffs because their opponents had more wins than Gainesville’s opponents 

On 7/8/2023 at 1:08 AM, Omaha Vol said:

When I get home I’ll show you all the results from FL vs TN all time 

8 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

When I get home I’ll show you all the results from FL vs TN all time 

I know my uncle played for Chattanooga Central in the early to mid 50s. I think they played one of the Florida powers during that stretch. Chattanooga Central was very good back then. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

They played a ton of FL teams 

I just looked them up. I guess Chatt Cent. was pretty good. 3 or 4 state titles during the early 50s. Played Miami Senior and Jax Flagler during that stretch. Beat the GA champs one of those years. 

9 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

I just looked them up. I guess Chatt Cent. was pretty good. 3 or 4 state titles during the early 50s. Played Miami Senior and Jax Flagler during that stretch. Beat the GA champs one of those years. 

They were/are called the Purple Pounders. Lol. That’s a great name. 

Yeah I have 18 games against FL teams with them going 10-7-1.

I gotta double check some of the results because there is a team called “Chattanooga City” and sometimes the newspapers back in the day just called the team by the place they come from. So they might have listed a team as Chattanooga but I gotta double check if it was City or Central.