The DLS dilemma

For many years the Spartans ran the veer almost exclusively with great success.  Even though the opponents knew what was coming, they couldn’t stop it.  Last year in their two highest profile games, DLS lost.  Including to a Nor Cal team in the SBG playoffs.

Casual observers saw DLS try to throw the ball a bit more, and the result was less precision and power when they ran the veer, combined with a (non prolific) passing attack.

To run an elite veer or an elite Cen10/Herrington brother type ball control passing game it requires 12 months of drilling and practice, and players that can execute those schemes.  For that reason DLS attempts to be a 65% veer + 35% spread or air raid, most likely will result in mediocracy on both. 

DLS boosters are pressing Coach A to lure a marquee QB to enroll by throwing more.  However DLS will always be a Veer first team with Justin as coach.

How much longer will the DLS faithful tolerate watching the veer get stuffed on 3rd and short, and wobbly incomplete passes on single route 3rd and long situations. 

It will be quicker and easier for DLS to refocus on a veer that can regularly pick up 7 yards per dive than to continue to dabble in expanding a passing game that they have neither the coaching expertise or talent pool to execute.

• Like 2

I have so much respect for DLS and all that they've done for high school football and especially Norcal, but man are they a boring team to watch. Running on 80% of your plays isn't going to cut it these days. You'll never beat one of those beasts from Socal with the veer when they can just load the box with D1 lineman. On a positive note, their QB this year is big and athletic and already has some D1 offers. If he can be accurate they seriously need to consider switching things up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The downward trend of DLS was a topic of discussion yesterday at my lunch with Coach Rollinson and Coach Negro. DLS recent inability to secure ballers from Oakland is a major factor in their opinions. 

Go look at Pitt's roster. They have a 5 star QB and multiple 4 stars at the skill positions. If those players were on DLS they would be a different team. It's my belief that the veer just isn't enticing to HS players unless you're a running back. If I'm a top WR in the bay area why would I want to play for a team hardly throws the ball? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The downward trend of DLS was a topic of discussion yesterday at my lunch with Coach Rollinson and Coach Negro. DLS recent inability to secure ballers from Oakland is a major factor in their opinions. 

But, but, but DLS doesn't play that!  All Contra Costa kids! 😉

• Haha 1