Mater Dei Parts Ways with Head Coach

Mater Dei is again seeking a new football coach after the removal of Frank McManus after one season. With summer workouts approaching, the program has named an interim coach but here are 10 potential candidates to fill the opening based on analysis by OCVarsity’s Dan Albano:

Chuck Chastain, formerly Roosevelt

Chastain recently resigned at Roosevelt after one season. The former Norco coach was a candidate to replace Bruce Rollinson at Mater Dei for the 2023 season.

Jon Ellinghouse, Sierra Canyon

Ellinghouse has become a hot name for openings in the Trinity League because of his success building the Trailblazers.

Khaled Holmes, Mater Dei

If Mater Dei again looks internally to fill the opening, Holmes remains an intriguing candidate. The former Mater Dei and USC lineman coaches the offensive linemen and serves as a special assistant to Mater Dei president Mike Brennan. Holmes also is listed as associate head coach.

Chad Johnson, Mission Viejo

Johnson is often viewed as a candidate because of his ties to the Trinity League as the former offensive coordinator at St. John Bosco. This past season, he guided Mission Viejo to a state title, which only makes him more attractive.

Raul Lara, St. Anthony

Lara is a veteran coach with a strong resume and connection with Brennan. Before his arrival at Mater Dei, Brennan briefly worked as the president at St. Anthony in Long Beach. Lara is best-known for his success with Long Beach Poly. He also served an assistant at Servite, Brennan’s longtime school.

Matt Logan, Centennial Corona

The veteran coach often surfaces with coaching openings in the Trinity League but is well-established at the Inland Empire powerhouse. After the ’22 season, he said he was “not interested” in Mater Dei’s opening for several reasons but his name will come up because of his success.

Scott McKnight, Mater Dei

The former JSerra coach and special teams guru served as an assistant coach at Mater Dei last season.

Kevin Pearson, formerly Warren

Pearson recently resigned at Warren and has a successful track record. He also coached former Mater Dei star quarterback Bryce Young at Cathedral of L.A.

Troy Thomas, Edison

The former Servite coach earned strong reviews last season as an assistant at Edison under Jeff Grady. Thomas has an especially strong connection with Brennan, his former boss at Servite. Brennan has called Thomas one of his closest friends.

Randy Wright, Mater Dei

The Monarchs’ offensive coordinator has been named interim head coach. The former assistant at JSerra also serves as coordinator of football operations.

21 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

The word inside is that it will be Khaled Holmes. It would be seamless. He is well liked by the boosters and alum that yield influence. I would expect this to not take long.

But is he deserving and capable of leading one of the most high-profile teams in America? Does he have the stomach for the job? 

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Troy Thomas, Edison

The former Servite coach earned strong reviews last season as an assistant at Edison under Jeff Grady. Thomas has an especially strong connection with Brennan, his former boss at Servite. Brennan has called Thomas one of his closest friends.

BETTER 🤬 NOT BE

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

I think Brennan is going to reel in the Football program a bit.   Maybe a lot.   I would bet that there are faculty (maybe alot) that are anti sports program and want the school to emphasize scholastics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

I think Brennan is going to reel in the Football program a bit.   Maybe a lot.   I would bet that there are faculty (maybe alot) that are anti sports program and want the school to emphasize scholastics.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did that. Brennan and Executive Director of Athletics Joel Hartmann were previously at Servite when they reeled that program in and they became mediocre. 

34 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

That’s what happens when you let a Servite guy run things😂

• Haha 1