Super Prep League Update

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do these top players have to gain by participating? In the case of Marcus Harris (which I have not heard anything from MD folks about him doing this), he has offers from everybody and can pick his school. By playing in this league, he is only exposing himself to an increased chance of injury. I see this as an unnecessary risk for a kid such as this.

But I can see kids that have yet to receive offers doing this an opportunity for recruiters to get more looks at them.

8 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

What do these top players have to gain by participating? In the case of Marcus Harris (which I have not heard anything from MD folks about him doing this), he has offers from everybody and can pick his school. By playing in this league, he is only exposing himself to an increased chance of injury. I see this as an unnecessary risk for a kid such as this.

But I can see kids that have yet to receive offers doing this an opportunity for recruiters to get more looks at them.

Marcus Harris is not playing in it, in fact he didn't even now his name and likeness was be used to promote this game, which I have a feeling Harris isn't the only one. What I found fishy, was the fact not one player's social media was tagged or listed their handles (X account), on those nice graphics promoting their commitments to the game. Yet this league is to start next week?? and not one California kid has confirmed to play nor has the California media has written anything about it. And I believe California kids would have to get CIF approval, or forfeit their upcoming senior season, knowing the way CIF works, they wont allow the formerly known as Geico OOS championship after the state games. 

This all for what 2-6 games? Not worth it. 

• Like 1

Couple of things about this league.

1.  College Coaches are aware and actually like the concept.

2.  NIL money will end up funneling from the colleges wink wink boosters.

3.  New early signing period that will be voted in will eventually help this league

4.  Athletes will use this league as their SR.  Year - then graduate early (easy to do these days especially if planned) see Quinn Ewers.  

5.  Will be enrolled at the university (boosters) who helped them originally with the NIL money.

6.  Motivational factors include - 1.  Nutrition 2. Injury prevention thru proper training.  3.  Not being over used -example running back getting over worked his sr year in HS.  

7.  3 years if all goes good and you are in the nfl.   Elite athletes will play 3 years in college.  Others only 2.  However, year one you would have still been in HS. 

8.  Don’t forget about the potential NIL money.   

it may take few years for concept to really catch on.  Potentially this great deal for some kids across the country!

Not fan of this.  Trust me the universities really like the thought of having elite players on campus early.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 8:18 PM, covercorner said:

Marcus Harris is not playing in it, in fact he didn't even now his name and likeness was be used to promote this game, which I have a feeling Harris isn't the only one. What I found fishy, was the fact not one player's social media was tagged or listed their handles (X account), on those nice graphics promoting their commitments to the game. Yet this league is to start next week?? and not one California kid has confirmed to play nor has the California media has written anything about it. And I believe California kids would have to get CIF approval, or forfeit their upcoming senior season, knowing the way CIF works, they wont allow the formerly known as Geico OOS championship after the state games. 

This all for what 2-6 games? Not worth it. 

Actually, the plan is for kids to skip sr year of football.  Play at MD Sophomore and JR.  play in this league spring of Junior year.  Graduate early and head to college.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

Couple of things about this league.

1.  College Coaches are aware and actually like the concept.

2.  NIL money will end up funneling from the colleges wink wink boosters.

3.  New early signing period that will be voted in will eventually help this league

4.  Athletes will use this league as their SR.  Year - then graduate early (easy to do these days especially if planned) see Quinn Ewers.  

5.  Will be enrolled at the university (boosters) who helped them originally with the NIL money.

6.  Motivational factors include - 1.  Nutrition 2. Injury prevention thru proper training.  3.  Not being over used -example running back getting over worked his sr year in HS.  

7.  3 years if all goes good and you are in the nfl.   Elite athletes will play 3 years in college.  Others only 2.  However, year one you would have still been in HS. 

8.  Don’t forget about the potential NIL money.   

it may take few years for concept to really catch on.  Potentially this great deal for some kids across the country!

Not fan of this.  Trust me the universities really like the thought of having elite players on campus early.

# 6 above is happening when they are already on campus at the university they chose starting the fall of what would have been their sr year in HS.

trust me the vast majority will have better training and nutrition at the universities vs being at home playing HS football!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is this a joke?  The vast majority of kids at Tier 1 and 2 schools would never go for it.  They get far more accolades and attention playing at MD, BG, IMG, SFA et al, and a state title/MNC is far more meaningful than a “championship” in some league that nobody will remember in 10 yrs.

Edited by All Dei

17 hours ago, All Dei said:

Is this a joke?  The vast majority of kids at Tier 1 and 2 schools would never go for it.  They get far more accolades and attention playing at MD, BG, IMG, SFA et al, and a state title/MNC is far more meaningful than a “championship” in some league that nobody will remember in 10 yrs.

Many thought the same when summer club teams originated in the sports of baseball, basketball, lacrosse, soccer, etc. Now those clubs teams are far more important in terms of recruiting than the high school teams those student-athletes play for. 

42 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Many thought the same when summer club teams originated in the sports of baseball, basketball, lacrosse, soccer, etc. Now those clubs teams are far more important in terms of recruiting than the high school teams those student-athletes play for. 

You are comparing apples to oranges. Football is an outlier compared to other sports for many reasons. Risk of injury is the largest reason. Only thing that compares would be pitchers that ruin their arm by the time they are 18 because they play baseball year-round and pitch way too many innings. For a football player, their school team and camps will remain the places where they get recruited from. There is absolutely no reason for a high school stud to play in this league since it is all risk and no reward. It only has a potential benefit for kids that are not already being recruited.

IMO I see there being very little, if any, fan interest for this.

8 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Football is an outlier compared to other sports for many reasons. Risk of injury is the largest reason. Only thing that compares would be pitchers that ruin their arm by the time they are 18 because they play baseball year-round and pitch way too many innings. For a football player, their school team and camps will remain the places where they get recruited from. There is absolutely no reason for a high school stud to play in this league since it is all risk and no reward. It only has a potential benefit for kids that are not already being recruited.

IMO I see there being very little, if any, fan interest for this.

We live in America. The Land of Oppty. If a few ballers can be discovered in this way and earn a scholly and some NIL $$, so be it. Sometimes change is good for some. 

5 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

If a few ballers can be discovered in this way and earn a scholly and some NIL $$, so be it. Sometimes change is good for some. 

Absolutely, and more power to them.  But no way any of these regional leagues draw kids from Tier 1 and 2 bc if you don't put in the same time as your brothers, you're getting dropped, and no Tier 1 and 2 kids would dare risk that.

3 hours ago, All Dei said:

Absolutely, and more power to them.  But no way any of these regional leagues draw kids from Tier 1 and 2 bc if you don't put in the same time as your brothers, you're getting dropped, and no Tier 1 and 2 kids would dare risk that.

IMO the league is best suited for the under-the-radar kids. I agree that very few offered, 4-5* players will be participating. 

On 5/8/2024 at 6:51 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

IMO the league is best suited for the under-the-radar kids. I agree that very few offered, 4-5* players will be participating. 

Interesting. The Super Prep X Account was hyping up top players committed to this league, without any attribution- so far its turned out none of the West Coast top players are playing. Wondering if the same could be said for the other BIG football states. Seems like they are trying make this league work with the Denver team,  In reality, this league should have never started, because its far from what was being advertised, and getting off the ground.   I believe they decided to start it in hopes it picks up steam for next year. If they chose to postponed trying to play go at next year - They'd be fighting an uphill battle and may never take off, losing whatever steam they have from its backers and other states.

If thats the case about being suited for lower tier kids playing, then they shouldn't hype the league to having top rated players. But without more than few top tier guys, the league won't take off as it was intended to. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, covercorner said:

Interesting. The Super Prep X Account was hyping up top players committed to this league, without any attribution- so far its turned out none of the West Coast top players are playing. Wondering if the same could be said for the other BIG football states. Seems like they are trying make this league work with the Denver team,  In reality, this league should have never started, because its far from what was being advertised, and getting off the ground.   I believe they decided to start it in hopes it picks up steam for next year. If they chose to postponed trying to play go at next year - They'd be fighting an uphill battle and may never take off, losing whatever steam they have from its backers and other states.

If thats the case about being suited for lower tier kids playing, then they shouldn't hype the league to having top rated players. But without more than few top tier guys, the league won't take off as it was intended to. 

Last weekend I spent some quality time with its owner, Brian Woods. We live in the same neighborhood. Things are progressing well so far from what he said. If all goes well Flo could be their broadcast partner in 2025. Time will tell.