Indoor Practice Facilities for high school teams

22 hours ago, Staff Admin said:

There appears to be an uptick in the construction of indoor practice facilities for high school teams.  What are your thoughts on these?  Are they worth the costs?  

I think so; can use year round, extends the life of equipment from weather

Edited by Horsefly

8 hours ago, Texasball said:

My man these are all over Texas and it’s not something new happening - schools here starting building these roughly 20 + years ago!

I don't doubt you at all, but it is still a newer concept for most of the country.  Are they worth the expense, and do they produce championships?

4 hours ago, Staff Admin said:

I don't doubt you at all, but it is still a newer concept for most of the country.  Are they worth the expense, and do they produce championships?

Are they worth the expense, I’d say, ”yes” but it would be hard to quantify if they produce championships. either you’re championship caliber or not (regardless of access to indoor facility) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Why do they build them in states where the weather is nice year-round? Like TX, FL, CA, GA, etc.?

Makes more sense in cold weather states where it snows lots. 

Probably true in those other states too, but in Texas the weather is not “nice” year round: extreme heat, humidity, wind and rain. The climate controlled facilities help with that 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 8:47 PM, Horsefly said:

Probably true in those other states too, but in Texas the weather is not “nice” year round: extreme heat, humidity, wind and rain. The climate controlled facilities help with that 

Plus, it can get pretty darn cold here!  most have batting cages and everything else that is needed by outside sports.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pied said:

Thought of that, but with all the games being done mid-December, and very few teams (relatively speaking playing past mid-November) I'm not sure the cold is as much a factor as some other conditions.  Seems like it may be more beneficial for other sports for the cold.  Not saying it doesn't get cold in October/November, but is usually fine.

Trust me they are using them during the season, especially playoff teams.  Schools that don't have them sometimes use others in the area just to get good practice on bad weather days during the playoffs.

I just looked at article from 2016 and it was saying over 60 in the area back then.  There has been many built since then!

DFW and East Texas have most of them.  Not very many in the Houston area...Barbers Hills built one recently. 

• Like 1