A move in the right direction

Georgia high school football: GHSA to split public, private schools for postseaon play

Plan would go into effect for 2024-25 school year and create one private bracket of combined 3A-A schools.

Oct 5, 2023, 10:30am

The governing body for high school sports in Georgia approved a plan to separate public and private schools in postseason play starting in 2024-25.

The Georgia High School Association Executive Committee voted 12-2 earlier this week for the plan that would create one championship bracket for all 3A-A private school teams. Meanwhile, public schools would have separate championships in 3A, 2A, A Division I and A Division II.

The two dissenters were athletic directors from Athens Academy and Prince Avenue Christian, both private schools.
Prince Avenue Christian celebrates after beating Swainsboro 52-34 in the Class A Division I state championship game last December. Under the GHSA's new plan, Prince Avenue Christian and Swainsboro will compete for separate titles. (Photo: Cecil Copeland)
Prince Avenue Christian celebrates after beating Swainsboro 52-34 in the Class A Division I state championship game last December. Under the GHSA's new plan, Prince Avenue Christian and Swainsboro will compete for separate titles. (Photo: Cecil Copeland)
According to StatelineSportsNetwork.net,  private schools won 39 of 78 titles in classes 3A to A despite public schools being a majority of programs that comprise those classifications.

"It's a good day for public schools across the state. I think it's much needed and I'm happy the GHSA recognized the issue with that," Trion football coach Sean Patrick told the website. "Our football team went 9-1 against public schools and outscored them 39-11 and went 0-2 against private schools and got hammered, including in the playoffs to end our season."

Public and private schools would still compete against each other during the regular season.
  • Like 1