Are high school championships out of reach without recruiting?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 10:26 AM, GardenStateBaller said:

Attend the best, highest-ranked, football high school in your area to see how talented you really are. If that doesn't work out you can always xfer back to your local high school and get playing time there. @codbeardsson

No need to transfer - go talk to your HS coach about this.  Play multiple sports and run track to develop foot speed.  Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard! 

8 minutes ago, TEXASFROG said:

Ya... probably explains why many Texas HS players in the NFL came from the super-powerful ranks of Texas 3A and 4A..

Sorry GardenStateballer..  You don't have to attend the local recruited up Private School All-Star team to prove you are a great football player.

Today you do to win a MNC!! 

2 minutes ago, TEXASFROG said:

Ya... probably explains why many Texas HS players in the NFL came from the super-powerful ranks of Texas 3A and 4A..

Sorry GardenStateballer..  You don't have to attend the local recruited up Private School All-Star team to prove you are a great football player

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Every private school in America must recruit to keep their doors open and lights on. Much different than bohemoth public schools with open enrollment policies!

Wrong they have to recruit to be truly elite regardless if on National or state level.

schools like MD didn’t need recruited up all star team to keep the doors open.  Just being a good honest over achieving HS team wasn’t good enough.  Instead they doubled down on recruiting and schemes to help athletes from miles away to afford tuition and travel expenses.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Wrong they have to recruit to be truly elite regardless if on National or state level.

schools like MD didn’t need recruited up all star team to keep the doors open.  Just being a good honest over achieving HS team wasn’t good enough.  Instead they doubled down on recruiting and schemes to help athletes from miles away to afford tuition and travel expenses.  

The schools would close if they didn't recruit every student that attends the school. You don't get it. Publics live off the "nipple" of their respective state's government. Privates need to raise every penny for every facet to survive. Tuition payments are their lifeline! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The schools would close if they didn't recruit every student that attends the school. You don't get it. Publics live off the "nipple" of their respective state's government. Privates need to raise every penny for every facet to survive. Tuition payments are their lifeline! 

I do agree with some of that. My 2 younger kids go to a Christian K-8 and everything costs! They are constantly fundraising and having car washes, garage sales, bake sales etc.

But the issue I have always had in regards to private schools and athletics is how can they play in the same classification of a public school and have an unlimited boundary to attract kids from near and far, and the public has to only play with their zoned neighborhood kids or they get the book thrown at them? That’s asinine. That’s why open enrollment was created. To give kids an opportunity in academics and athletics to flourish regardless of where your parents address is located 

9 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

I do agree with some of that. My 2 younger kids go to a Christian K-8 and everything costs! They are constantly fundraising and having car washes, garage sales, bake sales etc.

But the issue I have always had in regards to private schools and athletics is how can they play in the same classification of a public school and have an unlimited boundary to attract kids from near and far, and the public has to only play with their zoned neighborhood kids or they get the book thrown at them? That’s asinine. That’s why open enrollment was created. To give kids an opportunity in academics and athletics to flourish regardless of where your parents address is located 

Agree with you. Every state should utilize Non-Public classifications that bundle all the Privates together. And those Publics that want to schedule them should be free to do so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

I will assure you that kids are not traveling from 30 plus miles to go to open enrollment schools with shuttle service.  Fact:  if open enrollment worked like GSB believes there would be multiple public schools in places like FL, TX, GA,  that could seriously compete with the super recruited privates!

If private schools need all this tuition money then why do they give Football scholarships?

No Boundaries

Scholarship money for tuition

Host Families

Shuttle service 

lower standards for admission 

They should be really good when you do it like MD, SJB, BG and few others.  

MD was already thriving private school playing good brand of football before they really decided to double down on getting players.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texasball said:

I will assure you that kids are not traveling from 30 plus miles to go to open enrollment schools with shuttle service.  Fact:  if open enrollment worked like GSB believes there would be multiple public schools in places like FL, TX, GA,  that could seriously compete with the super recruited privates!

If private schools need all this tuition money then why do they give Football scholarships?

No Boundaries

Scholarship money for tuition

Host Families

Shuttle service 

lower standards for admission 

They should be really good when you do it like MD, SJB, BG and few others.  

MD was already thriving private school playing good brand of football before they really decided to double down on getting players.  

Most older, well-run Privates have endowments in the 10s of millions to easily cover need-based Scholarship/Merit Aid students. 

17 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Yet elite football players are getting scholarships from many of the elite private football programs!  

No Boundaries 

Many players handpicked.

Scholarships

Shuttle service 

Host families 

academic requirements lowered in many cases.

So much more

kid wants to transfer in Texas public school open enrollment or not - The previous coach has to sign off on the transfer as not being for athletic reasons.  It's not as easy as many of you believe.  

9 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Most older, well-run Privates have endowments in the 10s of millions to easily cover need-based Scholarship/Merit Aid students. 

Most older, well-run privates once gave that money to most deserving academic students not half or more of the football team.

4 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Yet another built in advantage over any public school!

Yet, privates are going for tax dollars in most states!

We all recognize the advantages that Privates have over Publics. But keep in mind that a Public was crowned National Champ this past season! MC beat IMG at IMG. TX won't play IMG anymore. See the difference? 

15 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Last off-season MC brought in more quality xfers than those other three combined. One of them should man-up and host the Rockets in 2023!! 

Has MC contacted the said schools and offered to travel to them on one of their open dates? MD still has open dates. I doubt they are afraid to play MC. 

• Like 1