Columbiafan Florida Preseason Preview (State Rankings on page 3 of thread)

Surprise double Tuesday, here's the northeast Florida tiers as well 

Northeast Florida

Tier 1

Trinity Christian

Bolles

Tier 2

Mainland

St Augustine

Nease

Ed White

Tier 3

Bartram Trail

Fleming Island

Sandalwood 

Middleburg

University Christian

Creekside

Deland

Tier 4

Yulee

Ribault

Terry Parker

Flagler Palm Coast

Oakleaf

Raines

Fletcher

Clay

Tier 5

Atlantic Coast

Terry Parker

Riverside

Andrew Jackson

Englewood

Ponte Vedra

Hilliard

West Nassau

Menendez

Keystone Heights

5 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

You are fucking fired!!!!!!!!!

Ed White over Bartram Trail???

Robert E Lee in tier 5??? 

now you are just doing it to piss me off 

Have you not paid attention

Riverside has been losing players left and right and their coach left, they are DONE 

Ed White been taking all their talent 

7 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

8-3 Raines in tier 4 after curb stomping Columbia by 3 touchdowns but Sandalwood is tier 3 for going 4-6 and losing to Raines?

Raines has been losing players to Ribault while Sandalwood has been getting transfers in 

Off-season transfer portal will hold miles more weight than last seasons results, just because most are too lazy to keep up doesn't mean I'm gonna ignore it and be ignorant of the teams heading into the season 

And everyone I've seen talking about Raines in the Jacksonville area have said they will be down this year 

Edited by Columbiafan
  • Haha 1

30 minutes early but here's the tiers for Central Florida

Central Florida

Tier 1

Lakeland

Tampa Jesuit

Cocoa

Tier 2

Venice

Osceola

Sanford Seminole

Orlando Jones

Treasure Coast

Apopka

West Orange

Edgewater

Tampa Bay Tech

Tier 3

Lake Mary

Rockledge

Lakewood

Sarasota Riverview

Tier 4

Berkeley Prep

Merritt Island

Vero Beach

Lakeland Christian

Clearwater Central Catholic

Tampa Gaither

Tier 5

Charlotte

Armwood

Palmetto

Lake Gibson

Plant City

Wharton

Lake Wales

Bartow

Sarasota

Clearwater

Nature Coast Tech

South Sumter

Melbourne

Port Charlotte

Tampa Catholic

Tier 6

Mitchell

Auburndale

Sebring

Palm Bay

Heritage

John Carroll

Wekiva 

Pinellas Park

Braden River

Manatee

Plant

Eau Gallie

Bishop Moore

Viera

Edited by Columbiafan

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

These rankings for Central Florida must be pretty damn accurate otherwise @Nolebull813would have already released his slightly altered one 😂😂

Armwood seems low, being below the likes of Lakeland Christian, Merrit Island, CCC etc. Maybe they will really be that down, but it's hard for me to understand starting them below those teams before any games have been played.

14 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

Armwood seems low, being below the likes of Lakeland Christian, Merrit Island, CCC etc. Maybe they will really be that down, but it's hard for me to understand starting them below those teams before any games have been played.

Based on everyone I've talked to and looking at their roster on 24/7 sports armwood isn't nearly as talented as they were 3 or 4 years ago much less the early to mid 2010s armwood

I actually bumped them to a bubble top 50 team only after talking to someone in the Tampa media who said they may be improved but I will need to see it to believe it 

Unless armwood has quietly gotten like 10 transfers under the radar I don't see them as higher than a bubble top 50 team currently and Central Florida once I started really looking at these teams are very deep 

Central Florida in terms of depth isn't as far behind SFL as people think 

3 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Based on everyone I've talked to and looking at their roster on 24/7 sports armwood isn't nearly as talented as they were 3 or 4 years ago much less the early to mid 2010s armwood

I actually bumped them to a bubble top 50 team only after talking to someone in the Tampa media who said they may be improved but I will need to see it to believe it 

The 247 lists are not all the way reliable. I've caught them in many errors just with Lakeland alone. That's even during and after seasons are complete, not to mention based on early July knowledge. Guys who graduated or transferred the year prior being listed, and missing other guys. Just this coming season alone they are missing a 3* LB (RJ Kelly) and have a backup DB listed as a QB (MIke Singleton).

If they can make that many errors on a relatively high profile program in a power state, they can be counted on to get much more wrong. Which is understandable, all things considered. But, point is, it's not a great idea to base rankings off 247 player lists. Nor would it be a great idea even if the lists were perfectly accurate. There are many different reasons as to why a player may get some stars or not get stars next to his name. And, the quality of a player that he is *RIGHT NOW* as he is playing for the HS team being ranked is often not particularly high on that list of reasons.  Some players have some physical attributes that mean they are *projected* to be monsters, but are actually kind of average as 16/17 year-old players. Others may not have much room for future growth/development, or may play a role for the HS team that is not valued at the higher levels of football, so they have no stars, but are actually awesome at the HS level.

Furthermore, we've known for a long time that the quality of a team is not always the sum of its parts. Even if it was actually plausible to accurately evaluate all of the individual players on all of the teams (this is not actually remotely plausible), we couldn't accurately evaluate the teams based on those ratings.

I go on this rant because I get the impression that lists like the 247 lists are pretty much all anyone on these boards is going off when they decide how to rate teams. 😁 

2 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

The 247 lists are not all the way reliable. I've caught them in many errors just with Lakeland alone. That's even during and after seasons are complete, not to mention based on early July knowledge. Guys who graduated or transferred the year prior being listed, and missing other guys. Just this coming season alone they are missing a 3* LB (RJ Kelly) and have a backup DB listed as a QB (MIke Singleton).

If they can make that many errors on a relatively high profile program in a power state, they can be counted on to get much more wrong. Which is understandable, all things considered. But, point is, it's not a great idea to base rankings off 247 player lists. Nor would it be a great idea even if the lists were perfectly accurate. There are many different reasons as to why a player may get some stars or not get stars next to his name. And, the quality of a player that he is *RIGHT NOW* as he is playing for the HS team being ranked is often not particularly high on that list of reasons.  Some players have some physical attributes that mean they are *projected* to be monsters, but are actually kind of average as 16/17 year-old players. Others may not have much room for future growth/development, or may play a role for the HS team that is not valued at the higher levels of football, so they have no stars, but are actually awesome at the HS level.

Furthermore, we've known for a long time that the quality of a team is not always the sum of its parts. Even if it was actually plausible to accurately evaluate all of the individual players on all of the teams (this is not actually remotely plausible), we couldn't accurately evaluate the teams based on those ratings.

I go on this rant because I get the impression that lists like the 247 lists are pretty much all anyone on these boards is going off when they decide how to rate teams. 😁 

It's not all I go off of but it's a useful tool especially when looking up teams in areas where I don't have an active source to reach out to 

But your saying I'm supposed to ignore a teams drop in talent and rank armwood because of what they did in 2011? Should I rank DFB like it's 2015 even with all they lost because "they usually win a lot"

It's not that simple and I would rather under rank a team and correct it by mid season than rank a team off the past and them start 1-4 because then it looks like a college football poll where average teams are thrust into the top 10 and top 25 based on a name and they proceed to be a mid level school by week 4

Unless armwood has quietly gotten like 10 transfers under the radar I don't see them as higher than a bubble top 50 team currently and Central Florida once I started really looking at these teams are very deep 

Central Florida in terms of depth isn't as far behind SFL as people think 

Armwood has tended to end up with a lot of talent year after year, transfers or not. Each of the last twenty-seven (27) Armwood teams have had players and been fairly strong teams. Odds are fairly good they've got a lot of underclassmen or previously ineligible players none of us have heard of but end up being dawgs. Public schools like Armwood relatively frequently have kids who are academically ineligible one year, but are actually monsters if/when they get their grades together. Sight unseen, I'd never put Lakeland Christian ahead of Armwood!

South Florida

Tier 1

St Thomas Aquinas

Chaminade Madonna

Miami Central

Tier 2

Cardinal Gibbons

Miami Northwestern

American Heritage Plantation

Gulliver Prep

Tier 3

Homestead

Dillard

Miami Columbus

Naples

Miami Palmetto

Miami Booker T Washington

Western

Palm Beach Central

Tier 4

Miami Edison

Benjamin

Glades Central

Dade Christian

South Fort Myers

Monarch

Stranahan

Fort Myers

Cardinal Newman

North Fort Myers

Monsignor Pace

Plantation

Tier 5

Palm Beach Gardens

Atlantic Delray Beach

Miramar

Lehigh

Calvary Christian

Bishop Verot

Tier 6

Mater Academy

Doral Academy

St John Neumann

Avant Garde

Somerset Academy

Santaluces

Pahokee

Palm Beach Lakes

Jupiter

North Miami Beach

Carol City

South Dade

Dwyer 

Kings Academy

2 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Sounds like the FHSAA needs to investigate this recruited up all star team coming out of Columbia County 

Like the FHSAA could do anything, Riverside was a all star Duval team last year and could only split with Columbia!!!!

We have as many transfers as Williston has, people just upset because now their argument that they could predict 3S before the season is being thrown for a tailspin 😂

5 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Sounds like the FHSAA needs to investigate this recruited up all star team coming out of Columbia County 

Besides nobody gives a damn about us having to go through cheating schools every year just to be told we suck because we can't beat cheating opponents 

We ain't cheating but I certainly am not gonna say nothing about getting a few good kids coming in when we have done right for our entire history and have been screwed over time and time again, idc about what people think of our transfers or Columbia being suburban, all I want is to see Columbia at the top like we have deserved and waited our time, screw anyone who wants to diminish it 

Like the FHSAA could do anything, Riverside was a all star Duval team last year and could only split with Columbia!!!!

We have as many transfers as Williston has, people just upset because now their argument that they could predict 3S before the season is being thrown for a tailspin 😂

I love that the use of the xfer portal is moving north in FL. 

10 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I love that the use of the xfer portal is moving north in FL. 

It's always been there my man 

Central and North Florida have been getting transfers but it normally goes unreported by the media

I've come across more in the last two years in the north Florida area just by following some players on social media and they end up liking or retweeting when someone transfers 

19 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

It's always been there my man 

Central and North Florida have been getting transfers but it normally goes unreported by the media

I've come across more in the last two years in the north Florida area just by following some players on social media and they end up liking or retweeting when someone transfers 

You shoukld start a Twitter account like @TheCribSouthFLA to report these northern FL xfers. Call yourself @TheCribNorthFLA

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

You shoukld start a Twitter account like @TheCribSouthFLA to report these northern FL xfers. Call yourself @TheCribNorthFLA

One I think that would be copyright infringement

Two if I get my current project off the ground in a few weeks my days involved with football may be numbered

And three while I come across some transfers I don't think it's enough to dedicate an entire account to