Which state has the best high school football?

Best HS Football  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which state has the best high school football?

• Florida
    • Georgia
    • Texas
    • California
    • Alabama

On 6/20/2022 at 6:58 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Let's not forget that Desoto lost to IMG, Westlake lost to Liberty NV and Cedar Hill lost to BG back in the day. And all of those loses were at home.

DV is not the only TX team to ever play a quality, OOS opponent. Your two best wins to date are over DLS and SJC. Very respectable. 

And while we're at it, let's not forget Northwestern with the W over SLC back in the day.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, SSG Blue said:

Florida has the best prep football in America.  We produce the most college and NFL players.  We have the best facilities and coaches.   Football in Florida is a religion.  You are born into it and grow up with it.  

Just because you produce more NFL talent doesn't mean FL HS football is better.  I'll give you IMG in terms of facilities, but I know, I know, FL doesn't claim IMG since no one from FL can beat IMG.  And coaching?  Please.  CA's best coaches are the best in the nation, hands down.  In terms of the religion thing, that's TX, not FL.  

16 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

While we’re at it, maybe we could also share with the class the dominance of Cedar Hill 2015 that would make anyone believe they would be a valuable opponent for one; 2016 Bishop Gorman.

You know Bishop Gorman, right?

The Bishop Gorman that waltzed into Texas, and took 2-1/2 quarters to pull away from the might longhorns.

The Bishop Gorman who walked into Florida and smashed Cocoa and beat St. Thomas Aquinas on their own field.

The Bishop Gorman that walked right into California and beat the big, bad Trinity League & #1 ranked California State champion, Thing 2.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but BG barely squeaked out a W vs STA in Vegas, not FL.  The same BG that MD dominated in '17 and thoroughly embarrassed in '18.  That BG? 😉

On 6/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Let's not forget that Desoto lost to IMG, Westlake lost to Liberty NV and Cedar Hill lost to BG back in the day. And all of those loses were at home.

DV is not the only TX team to ever play a quality, OOS opponent. Your two best wins to date are over DLS and SJC. Very respectable. 

Also, Katy took care of business against Bellevue back when the Wolverines were a recruited up team. If I remember correctly Bellevue beat Euless Trinity back in those days. 

9 hours ago, All Dei said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but BG barely squeaked out a W vs STA in Vegas, not FL.  The same BG that MD dominated in '17 and thoroughly embarrassed in '18.  That BG? 😉

No actually not the same BG, the ‘16 BG team, the one in reference,  beat your state champ SJB by 15. 

On 6/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, SSG Blue said:

Florida has the best prep football in America.  We produce the most college and NFL players.  We have the best facilities and coaches.   Football in Florida is a religion.  You are born into it and grow up with it.  

Cmon man.

• Like 1

Texas

Florida/California 

GA

PA

I do know that high school football is more important to Texans than Californians. I’m not sure what the statewide attendance is for high school games in either state but I’m sure it’s not even close.  I believe last years CIF Championship between MD and Servite drew less than 10,000  fans.  We get close or more than 10k in Texas at most regular season 6a games. I lived in California for 5 years prior to moving to Texas and I never once heard of people, who did not have kids playing, attend a high school football game.  I moved to the Austin area in 2004 and almost immediately was going to high games I had no affiliation with.  

Im not saying attendance makes Texas high school football better by itself but it sure helps to have that kind of support from your community.  When you build all star teams that doesn’t happen

6 hours ago, ATXNow said:

Texas

Florida/California 

GA

PA

I do know that high school football is more important to Texans than Californians. I’m not sure what the statewide attendance is for high school games in either state but I’m sure it’s not even close.  I believe last years CIF Championship between MD and Servite drew less than 10,000  fans.  We get close or more than 10k in Texas at most regular season 6a games. I lived in California for 5 years prior to moving to Texas and I never once heard of people, who did not have kids playing, attend a high school football game.  I moved to the Austin area in 2004 and almost immediately was going to high games I had no affiliation with.  

Im not saying attendance makes Texas high school football better by itself but it sure helps to have that kind of support from your community.  When you build all star teams that doesn’t happen

TX lost by 42 to CA last season. And it may be worse this season with SJB/Allen. Supposed top teams from top states can't lose that bad. Average attendance and stadium size doesn't make a state better than others. 

I think I said in my post that attendance and stadiums don’t make a state better but it is a factor..  

Yes…A team from Texas lost to the number 1 all star team from California.  That doesn’t mean Ca high school football is better from top to bottom.  You do know that.  Duncanville and Allen are not the best teams from Texas.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

TX lost by 42 to CA last season. And it may be worse this season with SJB/Allen. Supposed top teams from top states can't lose that bad. Average attendance and stadium size doesn't make a state better than others. 

Sure, California may have the best high school football team but that doesn’t necessarily make them the best state for high school football. It’s a lot more others things factor into it. California is very top heavy. From top to bottom, from 6A to six-man…Texas and Florida are definitely at the top. 

It’s not all about all-star football teams. It might be for those who are into national elites but that’s not everybody’s cup of tea. I’m sure some of that has no relevance for a team like Carthage, Shiner, Refugio, for example. (Which I’m very sure you’re not very familiar with most of those teams, nor do you care.)

That’s like saying that Maryland is the best state for HS football simply because they’re home to SFA. 

• Like 1

I’m going with Texas from top to bottom.California had maybe 4 teams better than anyone in Texas last year but I think after that things turn towards Texas.

Not sold on Florida being better than California at this point and Georgia is a distant 4th to the other 3

I may have exaggerated that a bit but the point is that Texans love to go to games and Californians don’t. Maybe because they have lots of other choices. I’m guessing our lower classifications had more than 10k at their state championships.  I really can’t believe that only 9800 show up for a Mater Dei championship game.  Im guessing we probably had close to 50,000 for our 6a games 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

CP gets more accurate each and every year. 

As they should with massive amounts of data that gets poured in every year. I'm less concerned with them predicting winners of competitive games and more concerned with the inability to distinguish between the Rochesters and Loyolas. To be fair, our journalists do the same thing at the end of seasons ignoring the common sense they were using prior to playoffs.